J-1 Visa

A J-1 Visa is necessary to participate in study-based exchange programs within the United States. Residents or fellows who wish to complete their medical training across the border will need to obtain this document. J-1 Visas are granted by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

Health Canada issues a Statement of Need to medical graduates. By signing this document, medical graduates express their intent to return to Canada to practice medicine in their field of study once the training program has concluded. The Statement of Need must be completed before a J-1 Visa can be issued.

A letter of support from the associate dean of PME is often required as supporting documentation during the application process. The letter can be obtained from the PME Office. Contact Kelly Storie at kelly.storie@ualberta.ca with the details of the position in the United States, and she will arrange for a letter of support from the associate dean.

For additional information, please contact the J-1 Visa Program Administrator at j1visa@hc-sc.gc.ca.