In 2004, the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry established a Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS) chapter at the University of Alberta. The Arnold P. Gold Foundation honours senior medical students, residents, role-model physician teachers and other exemplars recognized for “demonstrated excellence in clinical care, leadership, compassion and dedication to service.”
The election process is based on the recommendations of third-year student peers in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and from GHHS selection committee deliberations. The selection committee is composed of a broad array of individuals who interact with students in a variety of settings: clerkship administrators, nurses, residents, faculty and medical school staff.
The Gold Humanism Honor Society recognizes those who:
- Model, encourage and sustain the values of humanism and professionalism.
- Enjoy a shared vision of a balance between science and humanism.
- Lead, mentor and inspire colleagues to promote humanism at all levels of health care.
- Advocate for humanism in medicine – on campus, in practice, personally, locally, nationally.
- Nurture fellowship in membership.
- With humility, reach out to and support those bowed down by barriers to humanism in medicine.
- Are a force for better health care for all.