Up to twenty five awards valued at $7,000 will be offered for a period of one year: January 1 to December 31, 2020. The top-ranked PhD applicant will also receive an extra $1000 Delnor endowment award.
Successful applicants will be announced in mid-December.
- Students registered full-time in a thesis based M.Sc. or PhD in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta.
- Preference will be given to PhD Students or M.Sc. students in a program track leading toward a PhD program.
- NEW: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.3.
- Recipients of a 75th Anniversary Award may not hold a major award ($13,000 or greater), or any other stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta.
- Recipients of 75th Anniversary Awards are expected to apply for other sources of stipend support for current and subsequent years of study.
- Applications from former recipients of a 75th Anniversary Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry Graduate Student Award will not be considered.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by 4 p.m. on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Applicants must submit their complete application electronically as ONE PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete application includes:
- A completed current application form with signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated on a regular basis.
- The student's up-to-date transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts. NEW: Transcripts do not need to be official, but must be complete and current. They do not need to be signed off by a graduate coordinator or administrator but MUST be copies of those submitted to the University of Alberta when you applied, or copies of the official ones sent to FGSR at a later date, post-admission. Those selected to receive an award may have their transcripts validated. If transcripts are not in English or French, do not submit original language versions -- submit the English translation only.
- You MUST include a UofA transcript even if there are no grades
- UPDATED: If you have any non-U of A transcripts, you must include a copy of the Weighted Average Calculation done OR a print-out from Campus solutions confirming the GPA that was used for your admission to the graduate program. Your grad program advisor can help you with this. This is not a new calculation including your current U of A GPA. This is only a copy of the WAC/AGPA which has already been done, when you were first admitted into your current graduate program.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor, in signed and sealed envelopes OR submitted electronically directly to email@example.com.
NOTE: Extraneous materials such as: curriculum vitae, reprints, special academic standing certificates professional licensure certificates, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application.
NEW: The same application form is used to apply for the 75th Anniversary Award, the FoMD Graduate Student Recruitment Studentship, the Dean's Doctoral Award, and the Violet Kilburn and Lawson endowed studentships. Submit the form ONCE and indicate in the space provided which of the competitions you are applying to. Please ensure your eligibility for each of the competitions you check off on the form.
FoMD scholarships competition application form 2019
Applications are considered by an awards evaluation committee, chaired by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre