A major priority for the University of Alberta is to enhance graduate student recruitment. To support this initiative, the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) and Alberta Health Services (AHS) are pleased to offer a studentship competition for the recruitment of new graduate students (thesis based MSc or PhD) to the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
The FoMD and AHS will make available up to 12 recruitment scholarships of $10, 000 each for one year to graduate students registered in the FoMD and meeting eligibility requirements.
Awards are valued at $10,000 each and will be offered for a period of one year, from January 1 to December 31, 2020.
Two types of applications are invited:
- Funding from the FoMD will be made available to students whose projects are focused on topics in the basic sciences.
- Funding from AHS will be made available to students whose projects are focused on topics of clinical, health services/outcomes, and population health research. A clear linkage to a clinical problem is required and an emphasis on translational research (bench to bedside) is desirable.
- Graduate students must be newly registered as full-time students as of May, July or September 2019, or January 2020 in a program in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- A student is also eligible if s/he has completed an M.Sc. in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and will begin his/her PhD in a new laboratory within the Faculty beginning May, July or September 2019 or January 2020
- Students who will receive a GSRS are required to have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 (or its equivalent) or higher from their last 60 credits. All non U of A transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in to ensure that the GPA requirement is met
- Recipients of this award may not hold any other major stipend award ($13,000 or greater) or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (e.g. 75th Anniversary Award, Motyl Graduate Studentship, Medical Sciences Graduate Program Scholarships).
- If a recipient is subsequently offered another major award ($13,000 or greater) from any source, or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, the award must be surrendered.
- If the student is offered a major award ($13,000 or greater) or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, the Office of Research in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry is to be notified by the student and/or supervisor.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by 4 p.m. on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Applicants must submit the application electronically as ONE PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete application includes:
- A completed application form with original signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated annually.
- The student's up-to-date transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts. NEW: Transcripts do not need to be official, but must be complete and current. They do not need to be signed off by a graduate coordinator or administrator but MUST be copies of those submitted to the University of Alberta when you applied, or copies of the official ones sent to FGSR at a later date, post-admission. Those selected to receive an award may have their transcripts validated. If transcripts are not in English or French, do not submit original language versions -- please submit the translations only.
- All non U of A transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in to ensure that the GPA requirement is met.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor, in a signed and sealed envelope OR sent electronically directly to email@example.com.
- Curriculum vitae, reprints, ranking of applicants, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application.
NEW: The same application form is used to apply for the 75th Anniversary Award, the FoMD Graduate Student Recruitment Studentship, the Dean's Doctoral Award, and the Violet Kilburn and Lawson endowed studentships. Submit the form ONCE and indicate in the space provided which of the competitions you are applying to. Please ensure your eligibility for each of the competitions you check off on the form.
FoMD scholarships competition application form 2019
A review committee will be appointed by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs and will include representatives from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and Alberta Health Services.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre