A major priority for the University of Alberta is to enhance graduate student recruitment. To support this initiative, the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) and Alberta Health Services (AHS) are pleased to offer a studentship competition for the recruitment of new graduate students (thesis based MSc or PhD) to the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
The FoMD and AHS will make available up to 12 recruitment scholarships of $10, 000 each for one year to graduate students registered in the FoMD and meeting eligibility requirements.
Awards are valued at $10,000 each and will be offered for a period of one year, from January 1, 2017, to December 31, 2017.
Two types of applications are invited:
- Funding from the FoMD will be made available to students whose projects are focused on topics in the basic sciences.
- Funding from AHS will be made available to students whose projects are focused on topics of clinical, health services/outcomes, and population health research. A clear linkage to a clinical problem is required and an emphasis on translational research (bench to bedside) is desirable.
- Supervisors must hold an academic appointment in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Graduate students must be newly registered as full-time students as of May 2016, July 2016, September 2016 or January 2017.
- A student is also eligible if s/he has completed an M.Sc. in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and will begin his/her PhD in a new laboratory within the Faculty beginning May 2016, July 2016, September 2016 or January 2017.
- Students who will receive a GSRS are required to have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 (or its equivalent) or higher from their last 60 credits. All non U of A transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in to ensure that the GPA requirement is met
- Recipients of this award may not hold any other major stipend award ($13,000 or greater) or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (e.g. 75th Anniversary Award, Motyl Graduate Studentship, Medical Sciences Graduate Program Scholarships).
- If a recipient is subsequently offered another major award ($13,000 or greater) or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, the award must be surrendered.
- If the student is offered a major award ($13,000 or greater) or other funding from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, the Office of Research in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry is to be notified by the student and/or supervisor.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by noon on Friday, September 16, 2016.
Applicants must submit the original paper copy of each of the following documents to the Office of Research, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Alberta, 2-13 HMRC
- A completed application form with original signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated annually.
- The student's up-to-date official transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts and current UofA transcript even if there are no grades. The entire package must be formatted onto letter-size (81/2 x 11") pages. Non letter-size official transcripts should be copied, reduced in size and signed by the graduate administrator certifying that they are true copies of the originals.
- All non U of A transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in to ensure that the GPA requirement is met.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor in a signed and sealed envelope.
- Curriculum vitae, reprints, ranking of applicants, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application. Please do not double-side or use staples on any documents submitted.
A review committee will be appointed by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs and will include representatives from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry and Alberta Health Services.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre