Up to thirty awards valued at $12,500 per annum from the FoMD and $12,500 per annum from the supervisor, for a maximum of three years starting January 1, 2020.
Successful applicants will be announced in mid-December and the award will begin in January 2020.
- Students registered full-time in a PhD program in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students transferring from a M.Sc. program to a PhD program are eligible and must be registered in the PhD program for the term in which the funding is initiated.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5.
- The term of the award is for up to three years, but the student cannot hold the award beyond 5 years of enrollment in a PhD program or the enrollment in the M.Sc. program if they were first admitted into a M.Sc. program. Eligibility will be extended for leaves of absence from the program.
- Recipients of the award cannot hold another major award ($13,000 or greater), or any other stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students who hold this award and receive a tri-council award must terminate this award, but will receive a one time $5,000 research allowance.
- The supervisor must hold a tri-council award or peer reviewed funding from a national foundation for the duration of the award.
- By accepting the award, the supervisor agrees to provide matching funding for the duration of the award at a level of $12,500 a year.
Potential for Partnerships:
If an institute is interested in partnering with the FoMD on this program, please contact the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by 4 p.m. on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Applicants must submit their complete application electronically as ONE PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete application includes:
- A completed current application form with signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated on a regular basis.
- The student's up-to-date transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts. NEW: Transcripts do not need to be official, but must be complete and current. They do not need to be signed off by a graduate coordinator or administrator but MUST be copies of those submitted to the University of Alberta when you applied, or copies of the official ones sent to FGSR at a later date, post-admission. Those selected to receive an award may have their transcripts validated. If transcripts are not in English or French, do not submit original language versions -- submit the English translation only.
- You MUST include a UofA transcript
- UPDATED: If you have any non-U of A transcripts, you must include a copy of the Weighted Average Calculation done OR a print-out from Campus solutions confirming the GPA that was used for your admission to the graduate program. Your grad program advisor can help you with this. This is not a new calculation including your current U of A GPA. This is only a copy of the WAC/AGPA which has already been done, when you were first admitted into your current graduate program.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor, in signed and sealed envelopes OR submitted electronically directly to email@example.com.
NOTE: Extraneous materials such as: curriculum vitae, reprints, special academic standing certificates professional licensure certificates, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application.
NEW: The same application form is used to apply for the 75th Anniversary Award, the FoMD Graduate Student Recruitment Studentship, the Dean's Doctoral Award, and the Violet Kilburn and Lawson endowed studentships. Submit the form ONCE and indicate in the space provided which of the competitions you are applying to. Please ensure your eligibility for each of the competitions you check off on the form.
FoMD scholarships competition application form 2019
Applications are considered by an awards evaluation committee, chaired by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs, in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry