Up to thirty awards valued at $12,500 per annum from the FoMD and $12,500 per annum from the supervisor, for a maximum of three years starting January 1, 2020.
Successful applicants will be announced in mid-December and the award will begin in January 2020.
- Students registered full-time in a PhD program in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students transferring from a M.Sc. program to a PhD program are eligible and must be registered in the PhD program for the term in which the funding is initiated.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 for the previous 30 credits.
- The term of the award is for up to three years, but the student cannot hold the award beyond 5 years of enrollment in a PhD program or the enrollment in the M.Sc. program if they were first admitted into a M.Sc. program. Eligibility will be extended for leaves of absence from the program.
- Recipients of the award cannot hold another major award ($13,000 or greater), or any other stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students who hold this award and receive a tri-council award must terminate this award, but will receive a one time $5,000 research allowance.
- The supervisor must hold a tri-council award or peer reviewed funding from a national foundation for the duration of the award.
- By accepting the award, the supervisor agrees to provide matching funding for the duration of the award at a level of $12,500 a year.
Potential for Partnerships:
If an institute is interested in partnering with the FoMD on this program, please contact the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by 4 p.m. on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Applicants must submit a single PDF document that includes the application form and transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A completed current application form with original signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated on a regular basis.
- The student's up-to-date transcripts (unofficial are acceptable for U of A), including undergraduate transcripts.
- Please include current U of A transcript even if there are no grades.
- All non U of A transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor in signed and sealed envelopes or sent from the referee's email account directly to email@example.com
- Curriculum vitae, reprints, special academic ranking, professional licenses, or other documentation, are not required and must not be attached to the application.
NEW: The same application form is used to apply for the 75th Anniversary Award, the FoMD Graduate Student Recruitment Studentship, the Dean's Doctoral Award, and the Violet Kilburn and Lawson endowed studentships. Submit the form ONCE and indicate in the space provided which of the competitions you are applying to. Please ensure your eligibility for each of the competitions you check off on the form.
2019-2020 application form
Applications are considered by an awards evaluation committee, chaired by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs, in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry