The objectives of this award are to:
- Recognize the excellence of research done by postdoctoral or clinical fellows in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) at the University of Alberta.
- Stimulate the participation of trainees in conducting and disseminating outstanding biomedical and health research.
- Promote careers in research in the health sciences encompassing the pillars of biomedical, clinical, population health and health systems delivery.
- $1,000 per award.
- The recipient's research is profiled on the FoMD's website.
- Award may be given every four months to eligible postdoctoral or clinical fellows.
- Applicant must be first author.
- Articles must be original research published in a peer-reviewed journal. Systematic reviews are eligible.
- First author must be a postdoctoral or clinical fellow within the FoMD (or has completed a fellowship) and research must be completed while the applicant is a postdoctoral or clinical fellow.
- The research must have been completed under the supervision of a faculty member in the FoMD or in NMHI.
- Applicants must have published the research article during the past 12 months.
- The article must describe research in any field related to the health sciences.
- It is expected that the paper has been published in a high-impact journal in the field.
- An article may be submitted only once.
- The article must be in the final format and have a PubMed number. Papers accepted and available through PubMed in manuscript form are not acceptable.
- In the case of equal first co-authors where both authors are fellows, the prize will be divided equally between the applicants.
- In the case of equal first co-authors where the authors are a fellow and a graduate student, a given article may be considered only once for a MedStar Award. The applicants must choose which competition to enter and, if successful, the prize will be divided equally between the applicants.
- Applicants may submit more than one article as long as all conditions described above are met for each article.
- Recipient is eligible to receive only one award within 12 months.
- If fewer than three applications are received, they will be held over to the next competition.
The following are not eligible:
- Review articles - except for systematic reviews
- Non peer-reviewed articles
- Manuscripts in press
- Manuscripts posted on-line ahead of publication
- Application Form
- A copy of the published article. The article must be in the final published format.
- All components of the submission are to be submitted electronically as ONE file in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline for submission is 12:00 pm on Tuesday, July 2, 2019.
Evaluation of the application will be focused on:
- The significance and originality of the paper.
- The contribution of the trainee to the publication.
- The quality of the application, particularly focusing on the description of the significance. The application will also be used to help the reviewers appreciate and understand the significance and originality of the paper.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre