The objectives of this award are to:
- Recognize the excellence of research done by graduate students (MSc and PhD) in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) at the University of Alberta.
- Stimulate the participation of trainees in conducting and disseminating outstanding biomedical and health research.
- Promote careers in research in the health sciences encompassing the pillars of biomedical, clinical, population health, and health systems delivery.
- $1,000 per award.
- The recipient's research is profiled on the FoMD's website.
- Award may be given every four months to eligible graduate students.
- Applicant must be first author.
- Articles must be original research published in a peer-reviewed journal. Systematic reviews are eligible.
- First author must be a graduate student (M.Sc. or PhD) registered in a graduate program within the FoMD (or must have completed a graduate program in FoMD) and research must be completed while the applicant is registered as a graduate student.
- The research must have been completed under the supervision of a faculty member in the FoMD or in NMHI.
- Applicant must have published the research article during the past 12 months.
- It is expected that the paper has been published in a high-impact journal in the field.
- An article may only be submitted once.
- The article must in in the final format and have a PubMed number. Papers accepted and available through PubMed in manuscript form are not acceptable.
- In the case of equal first co-authors where both authors are graduate students in FoMD, the prize will be divided equally between the applicants.
- In the case of equal first co-authors where the authors are a graduate student and a postdoctoral/clinical fellow, a given article may be considered only once for a MedStar Award. The applicants must choose which competition to enter and, if successful, the prize will be divided equally between the applicants.
- Applicants may submit more than one article as long as all conditions described above are met for each article.
- Recipient is eligible to receive only one award within 12 months.
- If fewer than three applications are received, they will be held over to the next competition.
The following are not eligible:
- Review articles - except for systematic reviews
- Non peer-reviewed articles
- Submitted manuscripts
- Manuscripts in press
- Manuscripts posted on-line ahead of publication
- A completed application form.
- A copy of the published article. The article must be in the final published format.
- All components of the submission are to be submitted electronically as one file in PDF format to Jen Freund.
- The deadline for submission is 12:00 noon on Thursday, March 1, 2018.
Evaluation of the Application will be focused on:
- The significance and originality of the paper.
- The contribution of the trainee to the publication.
- The quality of the application, particularly focusing on the description of the significance. The application will also be used to help the reviewers understand and appreciate the significance and originality of the paper
These are competitive awards and all submissions must be of excellent quality to be competitive.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre