- $20,000 per annum for up to 24 months, beginning in September 2018.
- Depending on availability of funds from the Motyl endowment, two or more graduate scholarships are available to students who are registered in graduate programs within departments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) and who are conducting research in the area of cardiac sciences (including cardiovascular diseases and related risk factors).
- Topics of research may be related to any of the four pillars of research (basic, clinical, health services/outcomes and population health research).
- Applicants must be registered as full-time thesis based MSc or PhD students within the departments of the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- At the time of initiation of the award, all candidates must have completed at least 12 months of graduate study in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Supervisors must hold academic appointments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students who will receive an award are required to have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 (or its equivalent) or better on their last 30 credits. Applications must include a Weighted Average Calculator (WAC) form, or a printout of the GPA calculator from Campus Solutions, to be completed by the student's department, to ensure GPA requirement is met.
- A recipient of the Motyl Scholarship may not hold a major award ($13,000 or greater), or any stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta (e.g. 75th Anniversary Award, Graduate Student Recruitment Scholarship). If a recipient is subsequently offered another major award, the Motyl Scholarship must be surrendered.
- Applications from former recipients of a Faculty of a Medicine & Dentistry Motyl Graduate Studentship in Cardiac Sciences Award will not be considered.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by Friday, June 1, 2018.
- Submit the original paper copy of each of the following documents to the Office of Research, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, 2-13 HMRC
- A completed current application form with original signatures.
- The student's up-to-date official transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts. The entire package must be formatted onto letter-size (81/2 x 11") pages. Non letter-size official transcripts should be copied, reduced in size and signed by the graduate administrator certifying that they are copies of the originals.
- Please include current UofA transcript even if there are no grades. To verify your GPA on the last 30 credits, you will need either a weighted average calculation (WAC) or a printout of your GPA calculation, from Campus Solutions. Your department can provide this.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor, in sealed envelopes with the signature over the seal. Alternatively, the reference letters can be e-mailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, from the individuals writing the letters.
- Curriculum vitae, reprints, ranking of applicants, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application. Do not double side or use staples on any documents submitted.
A review committee will be appointed by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs, FoMD.
If you require further information, please contact:
Hannah Hamilton or Jen Freund
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre