- $20,000 per annum for up to 24 months, beginning in September of the competition year.
- Depending on availability of funds from the Motyl endowment, two or more graduate scholarships are available to students who are registered in graduate programs within departments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) and who are conducting research in the area of cardiac sciences (including cardiovascular diseases and related risk factors).
- Topics of research may be related to any of the four pillars of research (basic, clinical, health services/outcomes and population health research).
- Applicants must be registered as full-time thesis based MSc or PhD students within the departments of the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- At the time of initiation of the award, all candidates must have completed at least 12 months of graduate study in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Supervisors must hold academic appointments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- Students who will receive an award are required to have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 (or its equivalent) or better on their last 30 credits. Applications must include a Weighted Average Calculator (WAC) form, or a printout of the GPA calculator from Campus Solutions, to be completed by the student's department, to ensure GPA requirement is met.
- A recipient of the Motyl Scholarship may not hold a major award ($13,000 or greater), or any stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta (e.g. 75th Anniversary Award, Graduate Student Recruitment Scholarship). If a recipient is subsequently offered another major award, the Motyl Scholarship must be surrendered.
- Applications from former recipients of a Faculty of a Medicine & Dentistry Motyl Graduate Studentship in Cardiac Sciences Award will not be considered.
Deadline: The complete application must be submitted by Monday, May 25, 2020.
Update as of March 2020: Rather than a paper copy, which was originally requested, please submit all documents electronically as ONE PDF to email@example.com. The components of a complete application have not changed. As before, applicants must submit:
- A completed current application form with original or electronic signatures
- The student's up-to-date official transcripts, including undergraduate transcripts. The entire package must be formatted onto letter-size (81/2 x 11") pages. Non letter-size official transcripts should be copied, reduced in size and signed by the graduate administrator certifying that they are copies of the originals. Please do not include original language transcripts if originals are in a language other than French or English -- just translations.
- Please include current UofA transcript even if there are no grades. To verify your GPA on the last 30 credits, you will need either a weighted average calculation (WAC) or a printout of your GPA calculation, from Campus Solutions. Your department can provide this.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be from the supervisor, preferably sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. These should come directly from the referee and the student should not be copied. Alternatively we can also accept hardcopy letters in sealed envelopes with the signature over the seal.
- Curriculum vitae, reprints, ranking of applicants, or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application.
A review committee will be appointed by the Associate Dean Research, Graduate Programs, FoMD.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre