Approximately 10-15 Medical Sciences Graduate Program Scholarships valued at $6,500 each are available as a contribution to the stipend of students registered full time in a thesis based MSc or PhD in Medical Sciences Graduate Program (MSGP) in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
For the 2019-20 year onwards, results will be announced by mid-March and the payment will begin April 1. Awards are paid monthly over 12 months. Prior to 2019 award results were announced in mid-December and awards were paid over the calendar year, January 1 - December 31.
- Student must be currently registered or accepted to start as of January 2020 as a full-time thesis based graduate student in the Medical Sciences Graduate Program (MSc or PhD) in one of the following departments in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry:
- Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
- Laboratory Medicine & Pathology*** (students from Medical Sciences - LMP, ONLY)
- Medical Genetics
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging
*** Note: Applications from Laboratory Medicine & Pathology are limited to those whose degree will be "Medical Sciences - Laboratory Medicine & Pathology". Students admitted to the independent LMP program (September 2013 onward) are ineligible.
- The student may not concurrently hold any major awards ($13,000 or greater), or any other stipend award from the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (e.g. 75th Anniversary Award, FoMD/AHS Student Recruitment Studentships, Motyl Graduate Studentship).
- Student may be eligible to hold this award more than once.
- Award will be withdrawn if the student completes his/her program or ceases to maintain full-time registration.
NEW: To be eligible, a student must be in "good standing" with MSGP, which means that they must comply with the PhD proposal submission and candidacy completion timelines established by the MSGP (found in Outline of Responsibilities). That is, doctoral students must submit a PhD proposal package within 24 months of the start of their graduate program, and must pass the candidacy exam within 6 months of the MSGPC's approval of their proposal.
This does not apply to students who have already completed the requirements, prior to May 1, 2018.
If unsure of eligibility, please contact your department's graduate co-ordinator. Final decisions regarding eligibility for MSGPS funding rest with the MSGPC chair.
Deadline: A complete application is to be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, as ONE PDF, by Friday, January 10, 2020 at noon. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
An application should include:
- A completed current application form with all required signatures. Please do not use previous applications as forms are updated on a regular basis.
- The student's up-to-date transcripts in letter size unofficial and copies of original are acceptable as long as they are copied to letter size 8 1/2 x 11).
- All non UofA transcripts must include a Weighted Average Calculator Form to be completed by the department you are admitted in. This refers to the Weighted Average Calculation that would have been done at the time you were admitted to the program. We do not require calculations of U of A grades you achieved during your graduate program.
- Must include current UofA transcript even if there are no grades yet. Unofficial ones are acceptable.
- Two confidential letters of reference which should be received in a signed and sealed envelope, or e-mailed directly to email@example.com.
Curriculum vitae, reprints, ranking of applicants, copies of professional licenses or other documentation are not required and must not be attached to the application.
If you require further information, please contact:
Office of Research
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
2-13 Heritage Medical Research Centre