The University of Alberta Museums is pleased to offer a summer internship opportunity to be awarded to a student currently enrolled at the senior undergraduate level at the University of Alberta.
The successful applicant will undertake a summer internship, up to four months in length, with the UAlberta Museums unit gaining a diverse experience in museum practice, in a research intensive, object-based learning environment. The student will also undertake one or more projects in one of the following areas of museology/museum innovation:
- Curation: collections-based research resulting in new knowledge (e.g., researching objects; research for exhibition projects, writing didactic and interpretive materials).
- Exhibitions/Design: exhibition planning, design, installation and considerations for the presentation, care, interpretation of museum objects.
- Conservation: preventive projects including mount-making, artifact preparation.
- Information/Collections Management: database projects, on-line access and digitization, collections management processes related to cultural property certification, registration, inventory, deaccessioning.
- Research: exploring ideas/theories related to museum innovation and the future of museums; their role in the world.
- Community Engagement: formal/informal approaches to learning and engagement which are of benefit to the community. Opportunities include: public programs, contributing content for the web/social media, event planning and implementation.