Since its early years, the University of Alberta Art Collection has avidly collected works of art and historical artifacts for exhibition, teaching, and research. The University of Alberta Art Collection now contains over 10,000 works of art including paintings, prints, drawings, and sculptures by Canadian and international artists, ethnographic material, and historical objects. Focused acquisition activities are based on teaching, research, and exhibition needs.
The collection is growing in the following strategic collection designations:
- Works of art by indigenous artists;
- Contemporary Canadian prints;
- Works of art by historical and contemporary Canadian artists;
- Contemporary Eastern European prints;
- Historical and contemporary Japanese prints.
Art from the University of Alberta Art Collection can be seen throughout the University of Alberta campus, at the Print Study Centre, and as part of exhibition programs.