Thank you for your interest in applying to the Department of Music. Please follow the four-step process below to ensure that your application process is as simple and complete as possible.
Step One: University of Alberta Program Application
All University of Alberta students must complete an initial application. Please complete your program application to the university before May 1.
Step Two: Audition Application (if applicable)
If you are applying to the Bachelor of Music program, or plan on taking private studio instruction, you must submit an audition application to the Department of Music. For more information on our audition process, please refer to the navigation tab to the left.
Step Three: Undergraduate Advising
Do you have any initial questions or concerns? Please contact our Undergraduate Advisor.
Step Four: Theory & Piano Proficiency Requirements
Music Theory Requirements
Do you have any previously documented theory training?
- If so, please present your Grade II Rudiments (Royal Conservatory) or Grade IV Theory (Conservatory Canada) received in the last two years to the Undergraduate Advisor.
- If not, you are required to take a theory placement test. If you fail to meet the passing grade of 70%, you are required to take MUSIC 100 in the Spring or Summer session prior to entering the BMus or BMus/BEd program.
Piano Proficiency Requirements
If you are a non-piano major, do you have any previously documented piano training?
- If so, please present your Grade VI Piano (Royal Conservatory or Conservatory Canada) received in the last three years to the Undergraduate Advisor.
- If not, you are required to take a piano proficiency exam during the first week of classes. You must sign up for this exam by contacting the Undergraduate Advisor. If you do not pass this exam, you will enroll in MUS 129 (countable toward your Arts options).
Have you been admitted to both the University of Alberta and the Department of Music? If so, congratulations! Please follow the directions below to get your first year of study off to a good start.
- Register on BearTracks for your first year of courses. NB: Students are unable to register for individual lessons online, so please contact the Undergraduate Advisor.
- If you are interested in working with a particular studio teacher, you may request him or her through the Undergraduate Advisor. NB: We cannot guarantee to honour all requests, and we highly recommend contacting the teacher individually before submitting a formal studio instructor request to the department.
- Explore the many Ensemble courses available to you and prepare to audition for them. Ensemble auditions will be held during the first week of classes. Sign-up sheets can be found on the first floor of FAB outside of the elevator. Please discuss ensemble options with your private teacher.
- Still have questions? Feel free to contact the Undergraduate Advisor or Undergraduate Associate Chair for additional help or advice.