Beryl Barns Memorial Undergraduate Award
Applications are invited from current full-time students (minimum 24-credit course load) in the B.Mus. program and incoming students who have been accepted into the program. Students in the combined B.Mus./B.Ed. program may apply for this award, however they may only receive this award while registered in the Faculty of Arts.
Awards of up to $2000 will be made to outstanding students on the basis of achievement in practical studies (keyboard instruments, orchestral instruments, voice) or for continuing students in music composition, as demonstrated in the applicant’s CV and the following recommendations:
- Performers: recommendation of the relevant area on the basis of audition performances, or (for continuing students) end of year juries, or juried performances.
- Composers: recommendation of the Composition area faculty on the basis of evaluation of the current year’s compositional work.
Satisfactory academic standing of at least 3.3 in Music courses is required. Incoming undergraduate students will be expected to possess a high matriculation average. Departmental recommendations will be made by the Department’s Beryl Barns Award Committee.
Duration of Awards
A grade point average of 3.3 in Music courses will be expected in each year that the award is held. Each award is granted for a single year but is renewable to a maximum of four years at the undergraduate level, pending recommendation on the basis described above. Awards will be terminated if the student's enrolment status ceases to be full-time or if the Beryl Barns Memorial Awards Committee deems the student's overall performance in her/his program to be unsatisfactory.
A recipient of a Beryl Barns Memorial Award (Performance) will, when possible, perform a work dedicated to the memory of Beryl Barns composed by a Beryl Barns Memorial Award recipient (Composition), as part of her/his recital requirements. A Beryl Barns Memorial Award recipient (Composition) will compose a work dedicated to the memory of Beryl Barns to be performed, where possible and/or appropriate, by a Beryl Barns Memorial Award recipient (Performance). In years in which both performer(s) and composer(s) hold the award, the composer(s) will be encouraged to write works for the current performer(s), to be premiered at a public recital. These original works will be added to a library of works composed by Beryl Barns Memorial Awards recipients (Composition) as a living and growing legacy to Beryl Barns.
Application Requirements (new applicants):
- A letter of application (one page maximum) including contact information and professional goals.
- A current curriculum vitae
Application Requirements (renewing applicants):
- A letter of application (one-page maximum) including contact information and professional goals.
- A current Curriculum Vitae.
- All materials must be submitted together in a single envelope, bearing your name and program, using the following format as an example: "Beryl Barns Memorial Undergraduate Award Application for Jane Doe, B.Mus. in Ophicleide Performance."
Completed applications must be received in the Music Office by April 15th. We accept applications as of March 15.
Submit completed applications in a single envelope to:
Beryl Barns Undergraduate Competition
Department of Music
University of Alberta
3-82 Fine Arts Building
Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2C9