Grade Point Average
The minimum GPA for students who have completed postsecondary education in Canada or the United States is 3.3 on a 4.0 scale based on at least the last 20 courses or 60 course credits (or U of A equivalent).
Minimum GPA requirements for applicants from other countries must be equivalent to a 3.3 based on at least the last 20 courses or 60 course credits (usually the last 2 years of study).
Students who do not meet the minimum requirement cannot be considered.
English Language Proficiency for Applicants whose first language is not English
As English is the primary language of instruction at the University of Alberta, all applicants must be proficient prior to admissions. Minimum requirements of the proficiency exams include:
- TOEFL: an overall score of 100 with no less than 20 in each of the subtests.
- IELTS: an overall score of 7 with no less than 5 on each of the subtests.
Please note: TOEFL Institute or IELTS Testing Institute must provide the test scores directly to the Neuroscience and Mental Health Institute.
Students will not be required to take an English language proficient test under one of the following conditions:
- Their institution is included in the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's exemptions list.
- They have completed a postsecondary degree in the United States or Canada, even if the student’s first language is not English.
- Their institution’s language of instruction is English. An official letter stating that this is the case must be sent from the institution directly to the Neuroscience and Mental Health Institute.