Dr Papathanassoglou joined the University of Alberta in 2015. She has been academic faculty member since 1999, and has extensive teaching experience at undergraduate/ graduate education.
Her research interests combine basic science with the nursing management of acutely ill patients. She explores the effects of non-pharmacological, integrative interventions and stress responses in critical care. She studies the role of stress, stress neuropeptides and apoptosis in the pathophysiology of critical illness and multiple organ dysfunction (MODS) and the impact on non-pharmacological and integrative approaches on critically ill patients’ outcomes, including inflammation, pain and delirium. Additionally, she explores issues of inter-professional collaboration, nursing autonomy and clinical decision-making, as well as patients’ rights and ethical aspects of critical care. Another strong area of interest focuses on the phenomenological investigation of the lived experience of patients and nurses in intensive care. She employs a wide range of research methods, including physiological/ laboratory, quantitative and qualitative research.
She is member of the Research Review Committee and Graduate Studies Committee, at the Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta. Prior to joining the University of Alberta, she served as President, Vice-President and Head of Graduate studies at the Department of Nursing, Cyprus University of Technology.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroendocrinology, Immunology), Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Division of Endocrinology, Boston, MA, USA (1998-1999)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Nursing, Critical Care, Immunology), University of Rochester, School of Nursing Doctoral Program, Rochester, NY, USA (1994-1998)
- Post Graduate Diploma (Research Methodology), University of Athens School of Nursing, Greece (1992-1993)
- Master of Science (Health Informatics), Erasmus European Community Inter-University Collaboration Program, EC (1991-1993)
- Bachelor’s (Nursing), University of Athens School of Nursing, Greece (1987-1991)
- Effective July 1st 2019 - Professor - University of Alberta, Faculty of Nursing
- July 2015 – June 2019 - Associate Professor - University of Alberta, Faculty of Nursing
- Nov 2014 – Sep 2015 - Professor (Critical Care Nursing) - Cyprus University of Technology, Department of Nursing
- June 2009 – Oct 2014 - Associate Professor (Critical Care Nursing) - Cyprus University of Technology, Department of Nursing
- Feb 2003 – Sep 2009 - Assistant Professor (Critical Care Nursing) - University of Athens Faculty of Nursing, Greece
- Dec 1999-Jan 2003- Lecturer (Critical Care Nursing) - University of Athens Faculty of Nursing, Greece
- Elected ambassador of the World Federation of Critical Care Nurses (WFCCN) 2015-2020/ 2020-2024.
- Representative of WFCCN to Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM)- 2020 Sepsis Guidelines review committee (2018-20).
- Member of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research College of Reviewers (2017- present)
- World Federation of Critical Care Nurses (WFCCN) representative to the Global Sepsis Alliance (GSA) Network (2016- present)
- Representative to the Quality improvement Committee Global Sepsis Alliance Network. (2016- present)
- Elected Board Member GSA (2019-present)