My areas of research interest include Gero-oncology, psychosocial oncology, family caregivers, palliative and end of life care. The goal of my research is to enhance quality of life for older adults and their families. To accomplish this goal I have the privilege of leading several multidisciplinary teams. My program of research is entitled "Living with Hope" which includes research studies of hope for persons with advanced cancer, family caregivers and health care providers. This program of research has received funding from local, provincial and national grants. Four film documentaries of these studies have been produced. The film entitled “Living with Hope” has received 2 international awards. These films and abstracts of the hope studies can be viewed on my Living with Hope website.
My current funded research includes the development of psychosocial supportive interventions for male spouses of women with breast cancer, caregiving of persons with dementia and living with hope program for persons with advanced disease. These are in different stages of development and testing. The interventions were developed from qualitative data and pilot tested using mixed method approaches. My research is translational so that it can inform nursing research, practice and policy. This research has received multiple awards for excellence: Canadian Association for Nursing Research (CANR), Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Award and College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (with Distinction), University of Saskatchewan (1975)
- Masters in Nursing, University of Alberta (1990)
- PhD in Nursing, University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center (1999)
- 2016 NGSA Faculty of Nursing Award of Excellence Nominee
- 2013 CARNA Nursing Excellence in Research
- 2013 Research Showcase Award of Excellence, Psycho-social category
- 2013 NGSA Faculty of Nursing Award of Excellence, First Runner Up
- 2013 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- 2012 Canadian Association for Nursing Research: 2012 Nurse Researcher Award