Undergraduate Programs and Their Admissions Requirements

Admissions Requirements

A complete list of University of Alberta deadlines is available in the University Calendar. The RPN to BScN Program has one intake per year (September). 

The Faculty of Nursing is also allowing Registered Psychiatric Nurses to complete this program at our Camrose site.   

The application deadline is the date by which you must have your application form and application fee submitted to UAlberta. The document deadline is the date by which you must have all admission requirements completed and all documents (i.e. transcripts) submitted to UAlberta.

Application deadline: March 1
Document deadline: June 15

Application Process
Visit the Application Process section for a step-by-step guide.

Admission Requirements
Admission requirements are outlined below as well as in the General Admission Requirements and Faculty of Nursing sections of the University Calendar.. Students are responsible for the completeness and accuracy of their registrations and for completion of the specified program requirements.

Early offers of admission may be granted to early applicants who meet eligibility requirements (refer to the Admission Decision Process section of the University Calendar).

  1. Subject Requirements
    A minimum Admission GPA (AGPA) of 3.0. Please refer to the Transfer from a Postsecondary Institution section of the University Calendar for details on how AGPA is calculated. The number in brackets beside the course name indicates the required units of course weight ("credits").
    i) Human Physiology (6)
    ii) Sociology or Anthropology (3)
    iii) English (3)

  2. Other Requirements
    i) Graduation from a psychiatric nursing program.
    ii) Proof of current registration with a provincial psychiatric nursing association and eligibility to register with the Registered Psychiatric Nurses Association of Alberta.
    iii) Official transcripts of RPN diploma program and any other postsecondary education taken.

  3. Residency Requirement
    Students are expected to complete at least half of the credits required for graduation through courses offered by the University of Alberta. Credits obtained by special assessment at the U of A may be used to satisfy the residency requirements.

  4. Credit by Special Assessment
    Credit by special assessment allows students who can provide evidence of prior learning in a subject area to challenge the course material and, if successful, receive credit for the course. Interested students should contact the Faculty of Nursing for further information. The grade achieved on a challenge exam is officially documented on the university transcript. No more than 50 percent of nursing credits are awarded to an individual student by special assessment throughout their undergraduate degree program.

English Language Proficiency
Students who have not completed a minimum of six full years of education in English in Canada or the equivalent in another country where English is the principal language are required to demonstrate written and spoken English proficiency according to the UAlberta's English Language Proficiency and Spoken English requirements. For more information consult the Spoken English Requirement section of the University Calendar. For questions about these requirements, please contact International Admissions in the Office of the Registrar at (780) 492-3113 or on their website at http://admissions.ualberta.ca/contact.

Health and Safety Requirements
There are a number of health and safety-related requirements that must be met upon admission to the Faculty of Nursing. Please visit the Health and Safety Requirements page for detailed information and deadlines. 

Transfer Credit
Advance credit for coursework completed prior to admission may be granted once you have been admitted to the program. The Transfer Courses section of our Frequently Asked Questions page lists a few of the acceptable courses for transfer credit. If you have taken courses from other Alberta postsecondary institutions and would like to check for transferability, you can do so using the Alberta Transfer Guide.