Frequently Asked Questions


Every semester some students will ask to miss classes or leave early before semester's end. Here is the policy from the Academic Regulations section of the University Calendar towards such requests:


"Since presence at lectures, participation in classroom discussions and projects, and the completion of assignments are important components of most courses, students will serve their interests best by regular attendance. Those who choose not to attend must assume whatever risks are involved."

Absence from Exams

"A student who has missed a final exam because of incapacitating mental and/or physical illness, severe domestic affliction or for circumstances as described in the University's Discrimination, Harassment and Duty to Accommodate Policy (including religious belief) may apply for a deferred exam."

If you need to apply for an excused absence from a final exam, please contact the Student Advisor.

What is an Action Plan?

An Action Plan is a form used by clinical instructors to formally record some concern they may have about a student's clinical performance.

Unlike an assignment or an exam, which can be given to another faculty member to re-mark, clinical performance or certain conduct exists at a point in time and space and cannot be viewed a second time by a re-evaluator.

An Action Plan is a record of events at a point in time and it includes ideas to assist the student to improve. A student signs the Action Plan to acknowledge that it has been read. Signing the Action Plan does not mean the student agrees, but is simply an acknowledgment of the content.

What is a Transcript?

A transcript is the academic record of your studies. This might seem obvious but many students will ask if they have received credit for one course or another. Therefore, you can use your transcript to track your progress through your degree. Simply cross reference the coursework recorded in your transcript against the requirements of your degree in the University Calendar of the year of your admission.

The program in the Calendar of your year of admission is the program you and the university have agreed to follow. As long as you maintain a continuous enrollment status from one academic year to the next, the program you were admitted to remains in effect.

Every University of Alberta course registration will be recorded on your transcript under the heading of the particular semester. Deleted courses vanish and are not recorded. All passing grades, withdrawals, and failures are listed. A failing grade is not replaced by a passing grade. So, if course XYZ is failed in Fall 2011 and then passed in Winter 2012, the course will appear twice on your transcript.

Courses taken at another institution and granted as transfer credit towards your program will appear as a sentence on your transcript. For example it could read:

September 01, 2016 Granted credit in courses NURS 150 (3.00), NURS 151 (3.00) for work completed at Grant MacEwan University, Edmonton, AB 2016. Total units 6.00.

The only exception to this is for students who transferred from a Faculty of Nursing Collaborative Program site. In these cases the actual courses from Year 1 to Year 3 are not listed, only the credit total is recorded. For example:

September 07, 2016: Admitted to the Faculty of Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, on the basis of completion of Phase One of the University of Alberta Collaborative Baccalaureate Nursing Program completed at Keyano College, Fort McMurray, AB, 2013-2016.

September 07, 2016: Granted credit for work completed at Keyano College, Fort McMurray, AB, 2013- 2016, Total units 111.0.

If the student also completed other degree requirements at other schools, a further sentence would read:

September 07, 2015 Granted credit in courses PHIL 101 (3.00), for work completed at Grant MacEwan University, Edmonton, AB 2015. Total units 3.00.

More information about transcripts can also be found on the Office of the Registrar's website.