Undergraduate Student Resources and Services

BScN Collaborative Program Off-Campus Studies

If you decide to study off-campus and complete a course at another institution, it is strongly recommended that you complete a Letter of Permission to ensure that the course is transferable to the University of Alberta. If you take a course at another institution without a Letter of Permission, and the course is not transferable or equivalent, you will NOT receive transfer credit. 

Every school uses its own course numbering system. For example, PHIL 152 or ENGL 155 from Athabasca University are NOT university transferable as they are "preparatory courses." The University of Alberta begins its course numbering with 100; however, the University of Calgary and Athabasca University are two examples of schools that start their numbering system with 200.

Before you can take a course at another school you must first enroll as a student at that institution. Because you are already in a degree program and intend to use their courses towards your BScN degree, you need to register as an "unclassified" or "open studies" student. These are the most common terms used, but check their application form for the definitions of student status. Once the course is completed and the result recorded on the school's transcript, make arrangements for an official transcript to be sent from their Registrars Office to the University of Alberta Office of the Registrar to receive transfer credit.