AHFMR Research Program Establishment Grant
Start/End Dates: 2006 – 2010
Investigators: Cummings GG (PI)
Grant Amount: $253,000
Description: This start up grant supported the establishement of Cummings CLEAR Outcomes research program, which has the following objectives:
- Investigate new and existing theoretical conceptualizations of leadership and develop a comprehensive taxonomy of current leadership measures used in the many academic disciplines interested in leadership, including healthcare.
- Investigate the evidence for specific organizational and individual interventions to develop healthcare leadership in individuals and organizations.
- Investigate how (the mechanisms by which) specific leadership styles and practices influence the healthcare workplace environment, and healthcare provider and patient/client health outcomes.
- Examine the processes by which senior healthcare leaders implement policy and evidence-based decision-making, and thereby investigate how leadership facilitates or inhibits health practitioners, particularly nurses, in achieving evidence based practice and optimum patient outcomes.
- Analyze the impact of leadership on health system, nursing and patient outcomes.
Cummings GG, MacGregor T, Davey M, Lee HP, Wong C, Lo E, Muise M, Stafford E. (2010). Leadership styles and outcome patterns for the nursing workforce and work environments: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47 (3): 363–385.
Cummings GG, Lee H, MacGregor T, Davey A, Wong C, Paul L, Stafford E. (2008). Factors contributing to nursing leadership: A systematic review. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, 13 (4): 240–248.
Cummings GG, Midodzi W, Wong CA, Estabrooks CA. (2010). The contribution of hospital nursing leadership styles to 30-day patient mortality. Nursing Research, 59 (5): 331-339.
Estabrooks CA, Midodzi W, Cummings GG, Wallin L. (2007). Predicting research use in nursing organizations: A multi-level analysis. Nursing Research, 56 (4, Suppl 1): S7-S23.
Cummings GG, Estabrooks CA, Midodzi W, Wallin L, Hayduk L. (2007). Influence of organizational characteristics and context on research utilization. Nursing Research, 56 (4, Suppl 1): S24-S29.
Midodzi W, Hayduk L, Cummings GG, Estabrooks CA, Wallin L. (2007). An alternative approach to addressing missing indicators in parallel data sets: Research Utilization as a phantom latent variable. Nursing Research, 56 (4, Suppl 1): S47-S52.
Adewale A, Hayduk L, Estabrooks CA, Cummings GG, Midodzi W, Derksen L. (2007). Understanding Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications in Nursing Research. Nursing Research, 56 (4, Suppl 1): S40-S46.