The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in general follows the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGSR) Admissions Requirements along with those from the Medical Sciences Graduate Program (MSGP). Specific requirements for our department are as follows:
Academic requirement: Candidates must hold a four-year baccalaureate or its academic equivalent from an academic institution recognized by the University of Alberta to enter this program. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology requires a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4-point scale based on an equivalent of the most recent two years of coursework or the last 60 course credits.
English Language Proficiency requirement (for international students whose language of instruction was not English in their undergraduate or previous graduate program): the Student must take one of the following tests and receive a satisfactory score of:
- TOEFL paper-based score of 570
- TOEFL internet-based score equivalent of 95, with at least 20 per section
- MELAB minimum score of 91
- CAEL minimum score of 70 with at least 70 on each subtest
- IELTS minimum score of 7.0 with at least 6 on each band
- PTE minimum score of 65
If the Graduate Coordinator and Supervisor agree that a Student can be accepted with a TOEFL score between 550 and 570 or an equivalent foreign language test score, it is understood that a remedial English course will be taken.
- One-page form completed that lists the Student's previous research experiences if any and the Student's current research interests.
- CV including publications if any.
- A supervisor indicating their support to guide you through your program must be identified prior to admission to the department. In addition the supervisor must demonstrate that there is sufficient financial support available to provide salary support and operating funds for a minimum of two years.
- Final official transcripts and degree certificates from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- The names and email addresses of three academic referees.
For further details on general FGSR graduate program requirements, see Section 5: Admissions, in the FGSR Graduate Program Manual.