GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE
• All applicants must be licensed medical practitioners
• Applicants who are graduates of Canadian Residency Programs must complete five years of a core training program in Ophthalmology PGY (Post Graduate year)1 PGY 5.
• Graduates of US Ophthalmology programs must be certified or eligible for certification by the America Board of Ophthalmology.
• Graduates of other foreign ophthalmology training programs must show proof of completion of an approved program.
• A current curriculum vitae (C.V.) which must include the following: education background, including postgraduate experience, all related work experience including research, academic and non-academic honours and awards, presentations, and publications.
• Three letters of reference - at least one letter of reference from Head of the Department/Faculty from which the candidate graduated, and one letter of reference from the Residency Program Director.
• A cover letter in which the candidate would provide an autobiography, personal reasons for applying for the fellowship, and future plans.
ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta require any candidate applying for a license in Alberta to be able to speak, read, and write English.
Unless exempt, candidates are required to have completed IELTS (International English Language Testing System) within 24 months before submitting their application to the College, and achieved the following minimum scores:
IELTS academic version: minimum 6.5 in each of the components. College of Physician and Surgeons of Alberta does allow for some exemptions. Click on link to find most current exemptions.
Retina Fellowship - application is through SanFranisco Match (SFMatch), details and timelines are provided on this site.
Glaucoma Fellowship - application period is May 1 - August 31 and documents (CV, Cover letter and 3 reference letters) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Most fellowships are 1-2 year durations, generally, beginning July 1.
Successful and unsuccessful candidates will be notified as soon as possible.
Successful candidates will receive a Letter of Offer along with required documentation for registration. Once all required documentation and signatures are collected, the Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) office will contact the candidate for further processing. PGME will also advise of work permit, if required.
For further information on the Fellowship Program please contact the Program Administrator