International and U.S. Applicants


Students must provide all required admission documents at least two months prior to the admission period in order to allow sufficient time for processing the application and obtaining study permits and visa applications. 

  • June 1 for September admission
  • October 1 for January admission
  • February 1  for May admission
  • March 31  for July admission

Submit Your Application

Use the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research's (FGSR) online application. The application takes approximately 30 to 40 minutes to complete and a $100 CAD non-refundable application fee is required.

Prepare Your Required Supporting Documents

Prepare the following required supporting documents to upload to your online application. All supporting documents must be uploaded on or before the application submission deadline.

All uploaded supporting documents must comply with FGSR's Application Requirements for Academic Documents. Applicants are required to declare all academic education from all past and present universities, colleges, and post-secondary institutions attended (including the University of Alberta). Failure to disclose all education and/or comply with these criteria could result in a cancellation of the application or withdrawal of admission offer.

You will need to provide the following documents for your full application:

Academic documents*

You will be required to scan and upload each page (front and back) of your most up-to-date official academic documents in PDF version:

  • transcripts or marksheet in original language
  • marksheet in English translation (if original is not in English)
  • degree certificate in original language
  • degree certificate in English Translation (if original is not in English)
  • where the transcript states a degree has been conferred, an official degree certificate is not required
Letters of reference
  • Three references from persons (preferably professors) who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s academic and research potential and capabilities. You will need to supply the names of your referees in the online application
Letter of support
  • provided by your proposed supervisor indicating their support to guide you through your program and financial support
Current curriculum vitae (CV)
Personal statement
  • a personal statement 1 to 2 pages in length describing your goals and interests in pediatrics

Please refer to the Application Documents for either the Canadian Admissions Protocol or International Admissions Protocol to ensure that all your academic application documents are acceptable.

*If you receive an Official Admission Letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research, you must request official transcripts and degree certificates (if applicable) be sent from the relevant institution directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research.

Do NOT send any documents to the Department of Pediatrics.

Once you have received your letter of official admission from FGSR, we ask that you email the department ( to confirm your intention to attend.

Send Your Supporting Documents

The above documents can be emailed directly to the graduate studies coordinator, Department of Pediatrics  or mailed to the address below:

Graduate Studies Coordinator
Department of Pediatrics
Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
3-598D ECHA
11405 - 87 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6C 1C9

Do NOT send any documents to the FGSR, Registrar’s office or individual faculty member.

Once you have received your letter of official admission from FGSR, we ask that you email the department ( to confirm your intention to attend.

Study Permit 

To study in Canada, you must obtain a study permit from the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. Depending on your country of origin, you may also need to obtain a visitor visa. Your spouse and children may also require a visitor visa.

Application for these documents must be made before you arrive in Canada. To apply for a study permit, you will need an official letter of admission (provided by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research) and a letter of financial support (provided by the Department of Pediatrics). Additional information on application to study in Canada and study permits can be found on the Government of Canada website.