Notice: Due to technical issues identified on Friday, March 24th, the application form will stay open until 9:00 AM, Monday, March 27. Faculty Permission-to-Participate forms and Reference letter may be submitted until April 7, 2017.
Undergraduate students may apply to the Peter Lougheed Leadership College by meeting the following requirements
1. Applications must be accompanied by:
- A completed copy of the Faculty Permission to Participate Form. The form is to be completed by your Faculty Approver. (Arts students: The Faculty of Arts has waived this requirement. You do not need to complete this form.) This form may be submitted up until April 7, 2017.
- A resume
- A copy of your current transcripts (unofficial from Beartracks is acceptable)
- A letter of reference from someone who can speak to the applicant's leadership qualities (reference letters can be addressed to the PLLC Admissions Committee) This may be submitted up until April 7, 2017.
- If you have any issues uploading your files in the application or are sending them after your application is submitted, please send them to PLLC at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Applicants must have completed a minimum of 45 credits and a maximum of 84 credits toward their current degree including courses in progress during the winter term at the time of application. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
3. While the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Studies GPA requirement is satisfactory academic standing, a competitive GPA to enter PLLC is 3.0.
4. Students must be current University of Alberta undergraduate students or transfer students who have been accepted into a degree program. After-degree students will be considered on a case-by-case basis and are only eligible for the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies with the permission of their faculty. Education and Augustana students are currently ineligible for entry into the 2017-19 cohort as per the faculties' decisions.
Note: Students are not required to live in Peter Lougheed Hall to participate in the Peter Lougheed Leadership College.
* Given the limited space at Peter Lougheed Leadership College, priority will be given to applicants who meet the above eligibility requirements. At the discretion of the principal, other applicants will be considered; however, under these circumstances, applicants must contact the college prior to submitting their application. Admission decisions will be made by Peter Lougheed Leadership Admissions Committee on the basis of the student's character and leadership potential based on a combination of personal interview, resume, personal statement and letter of reference.
Dates & Deadlines
- Applications open January 3, 2017
- Application deadline March 24, 2017 (Late submissions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
- Faculty Permission-to-Participate form and reference letter due April 7, 2017
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by March 31, 2017
- Interviews April 4-9, 2017 (shortlisted applicants)
- PLLC orientation April 29, 2017 (accepted applicants)
- Banff retreat August 28-31, 2017 (accepted applicants)
The application form takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Here is a preview of the entire application. The written questions have a max of 1000 words. You will be asked short-answer responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in joining the Peter Lougheed Leadership College? What do you hope to achieve through this experience?
- Why are you an ideal candidate for this program? What will you bring to the PLLC?
- What does leadership mean to you?
- In addition to the four academic courses, PLLC Scholars are required to design and complete a Stretch Experience project between Year 1 and 2. This project is meant to challenge a scholar to use their leadership skills to design and develop a project that will bring significant social benefit to a community. While you do not have to have all of the details confirmed now, please give us an idea of what you might be interested in working on and why.
* You may want to type your answers in advance and copy and paste them into the below form
Please note: You must be logged into your UAlberta Gmail account in order to access the files and the application. Applicants transferring to the University of Alberta, please apply here.
If you are having difficulty accessing the application, please contact the PLLC at email@example.com or 780-248-1305.