Research in our lab is focused on investigating novel epoxy metabolites generated from the metabolism of polyunsaturated fatty acids. We primarily investigate the role of CYP epoxygenase metabolites of arachidonic acid (omega-6), called epoxyeicosatrieanoic acids (EETs), in maintaining tissue homeostasis and reducing injury. However, we have recently begun exploring the CYP-derived metabolites of docosahexaenoic acid (omega-3), called epoxydocosapentaenoic acids (EDPs). The main areas of specialization include cardioprotection, ischemia-reperfusion, PUFA, mitochondria, toxicology, cytochrome P450 system and mechanisms of cellular death.
Major Research Questions:
1) What role do EETs and EDPs have in cardiac physiology and pathophysiology in both young and aged hearts?
2) What are the intracellular targets of EETs and EDPs?
3) How do EETs and EDPs limit mitochondrial damage from ischemic injury?
4) Can we design and develop novel compounds based on the chemical structure and function of EETs and EDPs?
PubMed Publication List
Current Graduate Students
1. Haitham El-Sikhry (PhD student, Sept 2008-present)
Project Title: Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acids and Mitochondrial Function
2. Ahmed Abdelmoneim (PhD student, co-supervisor with Dr. Scot Simpson)
Project Title: Cardiovascular Risk Difference Between Glyburide and Gliclazide
3. Maria Akhnokh (MSc student – Jan 2013 – present)
Project Title: Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acids and Cardioprotection
4. Kristi Lockhart Jamieson (MSc student – Sept 2014 - present)
Project Title: Protective Role of Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acids in Aged Hearts
Former Graduate Students
1. Dharmendra Katragadda (MSc student – Defended July 2009)
Project Title: Effects of Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acid on Mitochondrial Membrane Potential
2. Mohamed Abukhashim (MSc student – Defended Aug 2011)
Project Title: Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acid Effects on GPCR Responsiveness
3. Sri Nagarjun Batchu (PhD student – Defended Nov 2011)
Project Title: Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acid Affects on Membrane Ion Channels.
4. Ketul Chaudhary (PhD student - Defend April 2012)
Project Title: The Role in B-Type Natriuretic Peptide in Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acid Mediated Cardioprotection
5. Rawabi Qadhi (MSc student – Defended Sept 2012)
Project Title: The Role of N-3 PUFA and Caveolin-1 in Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury
6. Nasser Alsaleh (MSc student - Defended Jan 2014)
Project Title: Epoxyeicosatrienoic Acid Affects on Autophagy
7. Igor Zlobine (MSc student – Defended Jan 2015)
Project Title: DHA Mediated Cell Death
8. Jelle Vriend (Visiting MSc student – Sept 2013 – May 2014)
Project Title: Eicosanoid Regulation of LPS Mediated Cell Death
Dr. Victor Samokhvalov (Research Associate – January 2012 – present)
Project Title: Mechanisms of EET-Mediated Regulation of Cell Death
Dr. YunFang Zhang (Post-Doctoral Fellow – January 2007 – June 2009)
Project Title: Cardioprotective Effects of EETs Toward Doxorubicin Toxicity
Dr. Fenghua Yang (Post-Doctoral Fellow – May 2012 – 2013)
Project Title: In Vivo Analysis of Mechanisms of EET-mediated Cardioprotection