The MSc and PhD programs in the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences are thesis-based; therefore, each graduate student is required to have a supervisor. The supervisor is responsible for the directing the student's program, including selection of courses, planning the student’s program of research, and ensuring the student completes all program requirements in a timely fashion. If the proposed supervisor does not meet the eligibility criteria listed in Section 8.1.3 of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Graduate Program Manual, he/she must apply for approval from the Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies to serve as the supervisor and a Pharmacy faculty member who meets the eligibility criteria must serve on the committee.
All graduate supervisors should:
- be aware of the contents of the University Calendar that relate to graduate studies.
- be aware of the contents of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Program Manual.
- be aware of the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences graduate program requirements to graduate (Section 2).
- clearly communicate his/her expectations to the graduate student.
- maintain open communication with the student and members of the student’s supervisory committee.
- be aware of the graduate student’s progress and ensure the student is completing program requirements in a timely fashion.
- have a successful track record in the student’s proposed area of research.
- have adequate time to supervise the student.
- ensure there are sufficient facilities and resources available for the student’s research projects
- ensure there is adequate supervision in his/her absence.