The Killam Scholarship and Andrew Stewart Prize are administered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR). The FGSR assigns a quota of awards to our Faculty; our Faculty has an internal competition in which students are required to complete an application. The Graduate Programs Award Selection Committee selects nominees based on these quotas. Unsuccessful and recommended applicants will be notified of the internal decision via email. Recommended nominees will receive official notification and payment of the award by the FGSR.
Applicants are assessed according to a combination of internal Faculty evaluation and recommendation, academic record, letters of reference, statement of program, applicant's research, potential contributions to research, and other technical experience.
Eligibility: Refer to FGSR's website for complete eligibility requirements.
Apply: All documents are to be submitted to the Graduate Programs Office:
1. Killam, Stewart application forms available on FGSR’s website. NOTE: Outline of Proposed Research is limited to 400 words typed (one additional page allowed for bibliography only). Any application that exceed 400 words will not be reviewed
2. Two Letters of Reference
1. Letter of Reference to Support Application for Graduate Awards template is required; one additional page may be appended (available on FGSR’s website).
2. Hard copy letters must be in sealed envelopes if delivered by student; sealed envelope not required if hand delivered by professor
3. Letters may be emailed from referee directly to Graduate Programs Administrator. Scanned or digital signatures are acceptable
3. Unofficial UofA transcript (can be printed via Bear Tracks); official are not required
4. Copies of transcripts from previous institutions. Official copies of transcripts are not required unless there has been a recent update (ie. you are entering your first year UofA, and recently graduated; most up to date transcript required)
January 15, 2017: Deadline for students to submit completed applications to the Graduate Programs Office
Feb 15, 2017: Deadline for university graduate departments to submit all ranked applications to FGSR
Apr 15, 2017: Results of the Andrew Stewart and Dissertation competitions
Mid-May, 2017: Results of the Killam competition (requires approval of the Killam Trust Committee)