The Faculty is committed to providing assistantship funding, which can offset the costs of education, to new and continuing students in master’s and doctoral programs. Graduate assistantship appointment award and minimum salary rates are available in the Graduate Students' Association Collective Agreement, and Human Resource Services Student Employment.
- GA funds through the Graduate Programs Office are provided in return for service to the Faculty. This service may be in the form of teaching, research or other academic duties at the discretion of the Associate Dean.
- the first priority for assigning duties from Faculty funds is to teach laboratory, seminar, physical activity and theory courses in the Undergraduate Program.
- students may decline an assignment and in doing so, voluntarily reduce their level of financial support.
- when students accept an assignment they are accountable to the Faculty for satisfactory completion of the assigned duties.
- students who do not complete their duties in satisfactory fashion risk forfeiting future GA opportunities.
- GA assignment letters are sent to students via e-mail. This letter indicates whether they have teaching duties, research duties or both. The assignments are divided into the Fall and Winter terms.
Additional information on Faculty funded Graduate Student Assistantships is available in our Graduate Program Manual.