2017 Essay Contest
In order to participate in the Princess Takamado Essay Contest, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be an undergraduate student enrolled at a Japanese university, or a recent graduate who obtained his or her degrees in or after March 2017.
- Must not have spent more than 1 year (combined) in Canada.
- Must not have received any formal education (secondary and post-secondary education) in an English-speaking country, except for a short-term ESL courses at the university levels.
- Must be of Japanese nationality.
- Neither parent is a native speaker of English.
- Minimum TOEFL® score of 65 iBT™, 5.0 IELTS™ or equivalent (as required by the University of Alberta's English Language School)
Both Japan and Canada are playing leading roles in the world, as host nations of the G7 in 2018 and the G20 in 2019. In 2018-2019, the two countries also celebrate the 90th anniversary of diplomatic relations. How can they work collaboratively for a better world?
Essay submissions must adhere to the following requirements:
- Word limit of 800 - 1,000 words in English.
- All submissions must be typed and double-spaced.
- Entries that are over or under the word limit will be disqualified.
- Entries must be original material not submitted to any other publication or organization. Your essay MUST be signed by an instructor at your university in order to certify the originality of your submission.
Essays will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Overall Impression
Please note that essays will be judged mainly based on ideas and originality, not correctness of English grammar.
Click here to view past winners of the contest and read their winning essays.