The Jason Lang Scholarships are valued at $1,000 each, and are designed to reward the outstanding academic achievement of Alberta post-secondary students who are continuing into their second, third or fourth year of post-secondary studies. These scholarships are funded by the government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education, and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
*Successful students applying before September 15, 2017, will receive payment of their award by December 2017; students applying after September 15 will not receive payment until April 2018.
Application Open: July 15, 2017
- Period 1: September 15, 2017
- Period 2: January 15, 2018
Variable number of awards available
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- have a minimum GPA of 3.2
- be entering second, third, fourth or fifth year of post-secondary studies at an Alberta institution in September 2017
- have completed at least 80% of a full-normal course load (i.e. at least 24 units of course weight for most programs) in the previous year of post-secondary studies (September 2016 to April 2017) at the University of Alberta.
Note: if you did not attend the U of A in the 2016 - 2017 year, the U of A cannot forward your application to Student Aid Alberta for this scholarship. You will need to contact your former institution for application information.
- be enrolled full-time in at least one term in the 2017 - 2018 academic year
Applicants must be an Alberta Resident as defined by Alberta Student Aid. An Alberta Resident, according to the Alberta Scholarship Act, is:
- a person who has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for a period of 12 months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, or
- a person whose parents or guardians have maintained permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months and reside in Alberta, or
- a person who marries an Alberta resident
Co-op students will be assessed based on paired academic terms (co-op work terms will not be included). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact us.
Students who participated in an official University of Alberta exchange will need to contact us to determine eligibility.
For further clarification on eligibility, please visit Alberta Student Aid's Jason Lang Scholarship webpage.
How to apply
Apply for Awards
For application-based awards administered by the Office of the Registrar, you can apply online:
You can also access the award application form via Bear Tracks.
Students will be notified by Student Financial Support in late October (for students who applied prior to September 15) or late February (for students who applied by January 15) as to whether or not their application was forwarded to Alberta Student Aid for final review.
Successful applicants will receive cheques directly from Student Aid Alberta in December, for those students who applied to the September 15 deadline, or April, for those students who applied to the January 15 deadline. Please make sure your address in Bear Tracks is up to date to ensure your cheque is mailed to the appropriate address. If your address changes after your nomination has been forwarded, please contact Alberta Student Aid.