Jason Lang Scholarships, valued at $1,000 each, recognize and reward the outstanding academic achievement of Alberta post-secondary students and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study. These scholarships are funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education, and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
Application Open: July 15, 2018
- Period 1: September 15, 2018
- Period 2: January 15, 2019
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- have a minimum GPA of 3.2 based on at least 80% of a full-normal course load (i.e. at least 24 units of course weight for most programs) completed between September 2017 to April 2018 at the University of Alberta. For more information see Courseload Requirements.
- Note: if you did not attend the U of A in the 2017 – 2018 year, the U of A cannot forward your application to Student Aid Alberta for this scholarship. You will need to contact your former institution for application information.
- be continuing in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate degree program or continuing in any year of a professional or after-degree program
- be enrolled full-time in at least one term in the 2018 – 2019 academic year
Applicants must be an Alberta Resident as defined by Alberta Student Aid. An Alberta Resident, according to the Alberta Scholarship Act, is:
- a person who has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for a period of 12 consecutive months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, or
- a person whose parents or guardians have maintained permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and reside in Alberta, or
- a person who was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
Co-op students will be assessed based on paired academic terms (co-op work terms will not be included). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact Student Connect.
Students who participated in an official University of Alberta exchange will need to contact Student Connect to determine eligibility.
For further clarification on eligibility, please visit Alberta Student Aid's Jason Lang Scholarship webpage.
How to apply
Apply for Awards
Apply online using the Student Awards application form:
You can also access the award application form via Bear Tracks.
You will be notified by the Office of the Registrar in late October (if you apply prior to September 15) or late February (if you apply by January 15) as to whether or not your application was forwarded to Alberta Student Aid for final review.
If successful, you will receive cheques directly from Alberta Student Aid in December (if you applied by the September 15 deadline) or April (if you applied by the January 15 deadline). Please make sure your address in Bear Tracks is up to date to ensure your cheque is mailed to the appropriate address. If your address changes after your nomination has been forwarded, please contact Alberta Student Aid.