Fall 2019 Update
We have been advised by the Government of Alberta that due to an application and payment processing system upgrade for 2019/2020 Alberta Student Aid scholarships and awards information will not be available until the fall.
The University of Alberta will update our Alberta Student Aid scholarship and award information for the 2019-20 year as program information from Alberta Student Aid becomes available. For more information, please contact the Alberta Student Aid Service Centre.
The University of Alberta will continue to accept applications for the Jason Lang Scholarship per the details below.
The Jason Lang Scholarship program recognizes and rewards the outstanding academic achievements of Alberta post-secondary students and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate or professional programs of study. This scholarship program is funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education and administered by the University of Alberta, in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
Application Open: July 15
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- have a minimum GPA of 3.2 based on at least 80% of a full-normal course load (i.e. at least 24 units of course weight for most programs) completed between September to April of the previous academic year at an eligible Alberta post-secondary institution.
- NEW in 2019/2020! Transfer students will be assessed by the institution they are currently attending and are encouraged to apply by the Fall Application Deadline.
- be continuing in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate degree program or continuing in any year of a professional or after-degree program
- be enrolled full-time in at least one term in the upcoming academic year
- be an Alberta Resident as defined by the Alberta Scholarship Act:
- a person who has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for a period of 12 consecutive months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, or
- a person whose parents or guardians have maintained permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and reside in Alberta, or
- a person who was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
Co-op students work terms will not be included, but co-op students will be assessed based on paired academic terms. It is recommended that co-op students apply each year and the Office of the Registrar will determine your eligibility.
Students who participated in an official University of Alberta exchange should apply and the Office of the Registrar will determine your eligibility.
For clarification on eligibility, please visit Alberta Student Aid and if you have further eligibility questions, please contact Student Connect.
How to Apply
Apply for Awards
Apply online using the Student Awards application form:
You can also access the award application form via Bear Tracks.
You will be notified by the Office of the Registrar approximately one month after the competition closing date as to whether or not your application was forwarded to Alberta Student Aid for final review.
If successful, you will receive a mailed cheque directly from Alberta Student Aid. Please have an up to date address in Bear Tracks to ensure your cheque is mailed to the appropriate address. If your address changes after nominations have been forwarded, please contact Alberta Student Aid.