Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarships, valued at $2,500 each, are designed to recognize and reward students for their academic achievements, and encourage them to continue in their undergraduate program of study. These scholarships are funded by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education Learning, and are administered by the University of Alberta in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid.
This scholarship recognizes University of Alberta students who are Alberta residents (as defined by Alberta Student Aid), in approximately the top 1.5% to 2% of their class.
Application Open & Closing Deadline: Nominations made by the Office of the Registrar in late July / early August
Approximately 450 scholarships available
- have superior academic achievement on a full normal course load taken in the previous year of post-secondary studies (September 2017 to April 2018) at the University of Alberta
- be continuing in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate degree program or continuing in any year of a professional or after-degree program
- be an Alberta Resident as defined by Alberta Student Aid. An Alberta Resident, according to the Alberta Scholarship Act, is
- a person who has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for a period of 12 consecutive months immediately prior to attending a post-secondary institution, or
- a person whose parents or guardians have maintained permanent residence in Canada for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and reside in Alberta, or
- a person who was married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
How to apply
Continuing undergraduate students
No application is required. If you are continuing in your undergraduate degree program, and eligible, you will be notified of your nomination by the Office of the Registrar in late July / early August.
Students entering another undergraduate or professional program
If you have completed a degree program and are entering another undergraduate or professional program, you must apply directly to the Office of the Registrar by July 3. Please email email@example.com to receive an application form.
Final approval will come directly from Student Aid Alberta, which distributes the scholarships in November.
To find out more about accepting and declining your award, financial information, and thanking your donor, please visit Information for Award Recipients.