Remote Learning in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine


In March 2020, all in-person classes at the University of Alberta were moved to online delivery as part of the university’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. For the upcoming Winter Term 2021, most classes will continue to be delivered online, with some exceptions where necessary.

What will the online learning experience be like?
We asked Becca Tanner, one of our Calgary-based MSc students, what it was like to learn from home last academic year. Read about her experiences and discover some  tips for success in this new learning environment.

How are our instructors adjusting?
Hear from Iain Muir, associate teaching professor in the Department of Physical Therapy, as he describes how instructors’ work is changing and the supports that are being put in place for students.

Why is the university moving to a blend of online and in-person instruction this term?
Guidelines from Alberta Health Services require in-person gatherings to be limited in size, and for alternative arrangements to be made whenever possible. Based on the advice of provincial authorities, the university will continue to offer instruction online for Winter Term 2021. Some faculties (including the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine) have applied for and received exemptions for specific courses where in-person instruction is necessary.

Which of my courses will be delivered online, and which will be delivered in person?
A complete list of in-person courses can be found here

How will this impact thesis-based graduate students?
The Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research has created a page with more information on supervision, awards and research

Where can I find more information?
Visit the university’s Campus Life page for more information on financial assistance, residences, academic support, computing recommendations, updated COVID-19 news and resources, and more. 

What resources are available if I or one of my colleagues needs support?
Your health and well-being are a priority for us, and we recognize that you are experiencing your education in the context of unprecedented challenges. Below is a collection of professional, confidential resources that you can reach out to at any time, should you be concerned about your own health and safety or that of another student. 

24-hour resources in the Edmonton community: 

  • 24/7 CMHA Distress Line (780-482-4357) - provides support to those in distress or considering suicide. They also have online crisis support.
  • 24/7 Graduate Student Assistance Program (through Homewood Health) Line:1-800-663-1142
  • Alberta 211 (Community and Social Services Help Line) - allows you to find programs and services in your community quickly and easily by either calling 2-1-1 or visiting their web site and using the Search Help Tool.

Mental Health / Counselling Resources:

Counselling and Clinical Services - provides high quality, accessible and compassionate psychological and psychiatric services to students to improve their personal, social, and academic well-being. Any U of A student currently residing in Alberta can book an Initial Consultation by calling reception at 780-492-5205 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. U of A students who do not currently reside in Alberta can connect with for additional support. Appointments are currently being delivered through tele-health (by phone or video).  

Graduate Student Assistance Program: 780-428-7587 -provide a wide variety of free services such as counselling and advice, crisis support, legal services, financial services, lifestyle services (personal trainer, nutritional counselling, smoking cessation). You need to specify you are a graduate student at the U of A and provide your One Card # to receive free services. They also have a 24/7 Line: 1-800-663-1142

Safety Concerns:

If you have concerns that someone on campus (e.g. a peer, faculty member or staff member) may be at risk of harm to self and/or harm to others, please contact the Helping Individuals at Risk Program at 780-492-4372 or at Helping Individuals at Risk provides a confidential centralized location for individuals to report worrisome behaviours and works to connect the individual to resources and support before the situation escalates. 

University of Alberta Protective Services (UAPS) 780-492-5050 (24/7) - Peace officers dedicated to ensuring the safety and security of U of A campuses and community. UAPS receives and responds to a wide variety of reports and complaints. Staff or students can contact UAPS to make a report if they feel unsafe, threatened, or targeted on campus or by another member of the university community. 

Academic Resources: