Dr. Bob Haennel has served as dean since 2012. He joined the faculty in 2005 as chair of the physical therapy department. He is a graduate supervisor among the academic staff at the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine and currently mentors four students.
Post-doctoral fellowship - Division of Cardiology - University of Alberta - 1987 to 1989
PhD – Physical Education - University of Alberta - 1987
- Received his PhD from the University of Alberta in 1987.
- Completed a post-doctoral fellowship in the Division of Cardiology at the University of Alberta before joining the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine in 1989.
- Served as a professor at the Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies, University of Regina from 1990 to 2005.
- Directed The Paul Schwann Applied Health and Research Centre at the University of Regina from 1992 to 2005.
- Directed the Cardiovascular Research Unit and the Cardiac Rehabilitation program which were jointly operated by the University of Regina and the Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region from 1998 to 2005.
- Returned to the University of Alberta in 2005 to chair the Department of Physical Therapy.
- Has a cross appointment with the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute.
Dr. Haennel's research interests are in the area of exercise in the management of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. He has published extensively in the fields of Clinical Exercise Physiology, Cardiac Rehabilitation and Cardiac Pacing. He authored several chapters of the 2nd and 3rd edition of the Canadian Guidelines for Cardiac Rehabilitation and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention.
- Assessing daily physical activity and sedentary behaviour in patients with heart failure.
- Effects of cardiac rehabilitation in heart failure patients undergoing cardiac resynchronization therapy.
- Impact of community-based versus hospital-based cardiac rehabilitation on daily function and long-term physical activity
- Impact of exercise rehabilitation on the ability of pulmonary patients on ambulatory physical activity and the ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Exploring links between behavioural and physiological indices of tiredness, fatigue and exhaustion in cancer patients.
Ramadi, A., RG. Haennel, JA. Stone, R. Arena, TG. Threlfall, EH Hitt, BKin4 ; SG Aggarwal, MD2,4,5; M. Haykowsky, BJ Martin. The sustainability of exercise capacity changes in home versus center-based cardiac rehabilitation, Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, IN PRESS 2015.
Ramadi, A, MK. Stickland, WM Rodgers, RG Haennel Impact of supervised exercise rehabilitation on daily physical activity of cardiopulmonary patients. Heart and Lung IN PRESS 2015
Rodgers WM, AM Selzler, RG. Haennel, S Holm, EYL. Wong, MK. Stickland. An Experimental Assessment of the Influence of Exercise versus Social Implementation Intentions on Physical Activity During and Following Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2013
Holm SM, W Rodgers, RG Haennel, GF MacDonald, TL Bryan, M Bhutani, E Wong, MK Stickland. Effect of Modality on cardiopulmonary exercise testing in male and female COPD patients Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. 2014; 192:30-38
Rodgers WM, AM Selzler, RG. Haennel, S Holm, EYL. Wong, MK. Stickland. An Experimental Assessment of the Influence of Exercise versus Social Implementation Intentions on Physical Activity During and Following Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2013.
Jones, CJ, M Wieler, J Carvajal, L Lawrence and RG Haennel. Physical activity in persons with Parkinson disease: a feasibility study. Health, 4, 1145-1152.doi: 10.4236/health.2012.431173.
Kato DJ, W Rodgers, M Stickland and RG Haennel. Impact of peak oxygen uptake and muscular fitness on the performance of activities of daily living in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. 2012;32(6):400-404.
Manns, PJ and RG Haennel. Sensewear armbands and stroke: validity of energy expenditure and step count measurement during walking. Stroke Research and Treatment 2012;doi:1155/2012/247165
Haennel, RG Exercise Rehabilitation for Chronic Heart Failure Patients with Cardiac Device Implants. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal 2012;23(3):23-28.
Tomczak CR, I Paterson, MJ. Haykowsky, R Lawrance, A Martellotto, A. Pantano, S. Gulamhusein and RG Haennel. Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Mediated Effects on Exercise Left Ventricular Function, Oxygen Uptake Kinetics, and Peak Oxygen Uptake in Heart Failure. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology. 2012;302(12):H2635-2645.
Tomczak CR, RB Thompson, I Paterson, F Schulte, J Cheng-Baron, RG Haennel, MJ Haykowsky. Effect of acute high-intensity interval exercise on post-exercise biventricular function in mild heart failure. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2011;110(2) 398-406.
Johnston M, K MacDonald, P Manns, M Senaratne, W Rodgers and R.G. Haennel. Impact of cardiac rehabilitation on the ability of elderly cardiac patients to perform common household tasks. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2011;31:100-104.
Manns PJ, C Tomczak, A Jelani and RG Haennel. Oxygen uptake kinetics: Oxygen uptake kinetics: associations with ambulatory activity and physical functional performance in stroke survivors. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 42(3): 259-264, 2010.
Budnick K, J Campbell, L. Esau, J. Lyons, N. Rodgers and RG Haennel. Cardiac rehabilitation for women: a systematic review. Canadian Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2009; 19(4) 18-25.
Manns PJ, C Tomczak, A Jelani Cress ME and RG Haennel. Use of the continuous scale physical functional performance test (CS-PFP-10) in stroke survivors. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2009; 90: 488-493.