The February 1st application and document deadline is firm with no exceptions. Therefore it is important to familiarize yourself with the application and ensure that you are aware of the requirements in the months or weeks leading up to the deadline. If your application fee has not been paid and/or all of your documents have not been uploaded to your application by February 1st, your application will not be considered. Please read carefully through this list of requirements:
Application Dates and Cost
The online application for the 2017 academic year opens on October 3, 2016 and closes on February 1, 2017. No applications will be accepted after 4:00 p.m. (MST) on February 1.
All applications are subject to a $100 non-refundable application fee.
How to Apply
Applicants must complete the following steps:
- Submit the online application through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research before February 1, 2017
- Submit the online supplemental application through the Department of Physical Therapy (further details will be provided once your Graduate Studies application is submitted).
1. Online Application through Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
- To complete the online application through the Faculty of Graduate Studies, please click here (available October 3, 2016 through February 1, 2017)
- When you begin the application, you will be prompted to select a program of study and a department. Use the drop down menu under 'Search by Departments' and select Physical Therapy.
The following documentation must be uploaded and submitted in this application before February 1, 2017 (please do not mail in hard copies of your documents to the Physical Therapy office):
An official transcript (front and back page) in pdf format from each university, college, technical school, etc. ever attended. This includes transfer, exchange, graduate level, part-time, distance programs, general interest courses and spring/summer sessions, even though you may or may not have received transfer credit at another institution.
You need to request an official transcript from each university/college ever attended in any capacity and have the transcript sent to you for you to upload to your application. Transcripts marked 'Issued To Student' are acceptable. Photos of documents are not acceptable. University of Alberta students are permitted to upload the unofficial transcript they obtain from BearTracks to the application. Transcripts from every institution except the University of Alberta must be official copies - unofficial/web copies will not be acceptable.
You must convert your documents into PDF files and use acceptable naming conventions. Please review this document for instructions on how to do so.
Applicants must have their primary work supervisor complete a Verification of Work Experience form and return the completed form to the applicant. The applicant then must upload the completed form to the Graduate Studies online application before the deadline
A copy of English language examination scores: TOEFL, TSE, IELTS,etc. (where applicable - please see application requirements for further information)
1. If you are still completing your degree: Only upload a transcript (pdf) once all Fall term grades have been reported, by February 1st. Do not upload your transcript without your Fall term grades reported.
2. If you are registered in any prerequisite courses: Upload an official transcript (pdf) indicating Fall term grades or Winter term registration in the course(s) by February 1st. Do not upload your transcript without your Fall term course grades reported or Winter term registration reflected. A final transcript (pdf) noting completion of the course(s) is due by June 1st.
3. If you are no longer attending ANY post-secondary institutions: Upload all transcripts (pdf) as soon as possible after starting an application.
4. University of Alberta past/present students: Please submit your University of Alberta transcript (pdf) by February 1st. A Transcript (pdf) from all other post-secondary institutions ever attended must also be submitted even though you may have received transfer credit at the University of Alberta.
5. An English translation of transcripts in languages other than English must be provided by the issuing institution or by a certified translator. If the transcript is issued in French by a Canadian institution, then no English language translation is required.
6. Do not submit your application until you have uploaded all necessary documents required for application. Once you submit your application, you can not go back and edit it or upload more documents.
Upon admission to the program, applicants will be provided information as to when and how to submit final transcripts (if required).
Please note that once you have submitted your application with the Faculty of Graduate Studies it will take 2-3 business days to receive your Student ID and Campus Computing ID (CCID). You will receive this information via email.
2. Online MSc PT Course-based Supplemental Application:
- Information on how to complete the online Supplemental Application will be sent to applicants once they complete and submit their Graduate Studies application.
- You will need your CCID and password to complete the application. An email will be sent containing your CCID once you have completed your online application with Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Notes for International Applicants
International Applicants are those who are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada. If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada but you completed a degree at an International institution you must still submit the following;
- All transcripts (or marksheets) must be uploaded in both the original language and with an English translation. Details available here.
- An original document or certified copy of degree certificate and English translation must be uploaded. Details available here.
- Course outlines and number of hours attended must be submitted for all pre-requisite courses. Only English translations will be accepted. These must be mailed to the Department of Physical Therapy directly - mailing address is available here.
- English language examination scores (TOEFL,TSE, IELTS) must be uploaded in the case where English was not the primary language of instruction for any previous degree. To determine if you are required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency, please review this list of Countries and Universities that are exempt from the English Language Proficiency requirement.
- Please see this page for score requirements.
- International applicants should review this presentation for further assistance.
Accommodation Policy and Procedure
The Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine supports the principle of accommodation and all reasonable efforts to meet students' accommodation needs including disability related needs of our students. In collaboration with Student Accessibility Services (SAS), the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine endeavours to play a leadership role in instituting practices that maximize inclusion and participation of students with disabilities. Accommodation as it applies to students in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine extends only to the point of undue hardship. This document
outlines the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine's policies and procedures concerning accommodation.