Graduate Certificate in Bridging to Canadian Physical Therapy Practice

Application Eligibility

To be eligible to apply for the Alberta Bridging Certificate program, the following are required:

Degree in Physical Therapy

Applicants must hold a degree in physical therapy from a university outside of Canada that has been assessed and recognized by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators. The Alliance must verify that an applicant’s educational qualifications meet Canadian standards through credentialing ( Applicants will be asked to fill out a Verification Request Form and submit it to the Alliance at the time of application (please note that this form cannot be completed until after an applicant has completed the credentialing process).

English Language Proficiency

Language proficiency is a very important part of the application process. Since English is the language of instruction and a key requirement for professional communication in Canada all applicants must be proficient in English prior to admission.

To succeed in academic courses, applicants must meet the minimum standard described below. While the bridging program does offer skill development in professional communication, applicants who require additional language support must obtain these communication skills prior to applying to the Bridging Certificate program.

Test of English as a Foreign Language iBT (TOEFL iBT), with a minimum score of:
  • 92/120 overall with no subtest lower than 21
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic (AC) with a:
  • Score of 7.0 overall and at least 6.5 for all subtests
All passing scores must come from one sitting of the language assessment and must be taken within two years prior to applying to the bridging program. 

The testing institution should send the results to the University of Alberta (Institution code: 963 and PT Department Code: 619). Scores more than two years old cannot be verified; therefore the applicant would be required to re-take the test.

The Department of Physical Therapy reserves the right to require further demonstration of English language proficiency (Section 203.2.4 of the University of Alberta Calendar).

Authorization to Work in Canada

Applicants must prove they are eligible to work in Canada, as verified by Canadian citizenship or permanent resident card or open employment authorization, which does not limit studies or work in health care.  Additionally, students with open authorization to work must also have a study permit.

Applicant Commitment

Applicants must be available to meet the academic expectations for:

  •     Hours in home based studies and on-campus
  •     Clinical placement (plan for six-week, full-time clinical placement)
  •     Computer literacy and continuous computer and email access

A newer PC or Mac laptop computer (no older than approximately two years old) will be required. It should be capable of running the latest versions of Firefox or Google Chrome, Adobe Flash, Microsoft Word and Adobe Reader.

Students will be eligible to purchase discounted software from the Microstore on the Main University of Alberta (North) Edmonton campus.