We are proud of of faculty, and the quality of their research and scholarship activities. Their achievements are reflected in their many awards and honours:
- A Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement (David Schnidler, 2006)
- 2 Canada Gairdner Foundation awards for advances in biomedical sciences
- 2012 - Lorne A. Babiuk - Canada Gairdner Wightman Award
- 1985 - Raymond U. Lemieux - Gairdner International Award
- 66 Order of Canada recipients across in multiple disciplines.
- 152 Royal Society of Canada fellows and 15 RSC medal recipients.
- 6 Royal Society Fellows (London, UK) members:
- 2009 - John Vederas, Science (Chemistry)
- 2001 - David Schindler, Science (Biological Sciences)
- 2000 - Brian Sykes, Medicine and Dentistry (Biochemistry)
- 1989 - Michael James, Medicine and Dentistry (Biochemistry)
- 1986 - Werner Israel, Science (Physics)
- 1967 - Raymond Lemieux, Science (Chemistry)
- 23 Alberta Order of Excellence honours - Alberta's highest honour is bestowed on those whose achievements have significantly enhanced the well being of the province and its people.
The university also bestows honours on faculty whose achievements in research, scholarship and creative activities are deemed outstanding by experts in their respective fields. These awards include J Gordin Kaplan Award for Excellence in Research, Martha Cook Piper Research Prize and the University Cup.
2018 Trudeau Foundation Fellows: Malinda Smith, Kim TallBear
2018 Guggenheim Fellowship: Michael Woodside
2018 Killam Prize: James Pinfold
2018 J Gordin Kaplan Award for Excellence in Research: Carole Estabrooks, Philip Halloran
2018 Canadian Academy of Engineering Fellow: Fraser Forbes
2017 Royal Society of Canada Fellows: Sean Caulfield, Dennis Hall, Kurt Konhauser, Marcia Spetch, Lori West, David Wishart
2017 University Cup: Janine Brodie, Todd Lowary
2017 Canadian Academy of Health Sciences: Dean Befus, Faith Davis, Sumit Majumdar, John Spence, Ross Tsuyuki
2017 Killam Annual Professors: Thomas Chacko, Janice Cooke, Robert Driver, Leluo Guan, Simon Landhäusser, Julie Rak, Hassan Safouhi
2017 Martha Cook Piper Research Prize: Ratmir Derda, Sadok El Ghoul
2017 Royal Society of Canada College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists: Justin Ezekowitz, Darren Grant, Nick Holt
2016 World Agriculture Prize: Lorne Babiuk
2016 Royal Society of Canada Miroslaw Romanowski Medal: Mark Boyce
2015 Killam Prize: Lorne Tyrrell
2015 Royal Society of Canada Rutherford Memorial Medal in Chemistry: Robert Campbell
2014 Royal Society of Canada Innis Gérin Medal: Janine Brodie
2013 Canada Gairdner Wightman Award: Lorne Babiuk
2013 Sloan Research Fellowship: Juli Gibbs-Davis, John Davis
2013 Killam Prizes: Lorne Babiuk, Witold Pedrycz
Visit the Academic Awards and Ceremonies Database to find all our award winners. You can search by award, recipient and/or field of study.