Research Resources

Research Support

Research at the University of Alberta takes place in remote areas like the high Artic and highly populated cities like Mumbai, may require specialized equipment or access to unique collections, and may require special training. Below are some common resources that you will want to review.

If you have questions about whether the material you want to use in your publications or in your classroom are free of copyright restrictions, this office provides guidance for the University of Alberta community.

Field Research Office
Provides information about training required to work in remote regions, assists with field pre-planning, provides access to equipment, and hosts a variety of safety sessions.

Grant Assist Program
UAlberta's Grant Assist Program (GAP) was created to help our researchers strengthen research proposals and increase funding success.

The UofA Libraries provide assistance with finding research resources, data management, and measuring your research impact. The Bruce Peel Special Collections also has over 100,000 rare books and archival materials covering diverse local and international subject

Lone Worker Program
The Lone Worker Service was initiated and is provided by the University of Alberta Protective Services to enhance your personal safety while working or studying alone. Please also refer to the Work Alone Guidelines created by Environmental Health & Safety.

Housed within the VP Research Office, Mitacs provides internship, fellowship, and training opportunities for postdocs.

Museums and Collections
The University maintains 29 museum collections that contain over 17 million objects, housed in 120 locations.

Research Ethics Office
REO provides support for and administration of all aspects of the ethics review and approval process for research involving human participants and research, teaching and testing involving animals.

Research Services Office Facilitators by Faculty
Research grants must be submitted through this office for funds to be received. RSO can be consulted if you want to learn of any restrictions to a grant.

Safety Training
If you are working in a research lab, Environmental Health and Safety can provide a variety of safety courses. You may want to take the Supervisory EHS Professional Development course and Working Safely at the U of A if you will be supervising students or staff.