Wildlife and Field Research

Most field research requires the acquisition of permits. The University of Alberta's Field Research Office (FRO) has a mandate to facilitate and support field research activities across the University (regardless where the research is being conducted). FRO maintains a list of Frequently Needed Permits for Canadian research and can provide information and advice to ensure that fieldwork is conducted safely and in compliance with University policies.

Additionally, the provincial government has developed resources to assist investigators, including a number of SOPs for working with wildlife and guidance for working in Alberta's parks.

Use of these resources is encouraged, however where CCAC standards are more rigorous, researchers must ensure that CCAC standards are met.

Related Links