Researchers are responsible for developing their proposals (applications) in accordance with U of A policy and following the sponsor’s requirements. A full application typically includes:
• a curriculum vitae (CV) of principal applicant(s) and co-applicant(s); other CVs may be required as well as letters of support
Generally, the steps for developing and submitting a proposal (application) to a sponsor include:
- Confirming eligibility in accordance with both the U of A’s UAPPOL Eligibility to Apply for and Hold Research Funding policy and the sponsor terms and conditions.
- Registering with the sponsor if applicable (for example, to obtain login information for a particular competition). Note: some sponsors have a mandatory registration process.
- Developing application or proposal, including scope of work and budget of eligible expenditures, in accordance with U of A policies and the sponsor’s guidelines.
- Logging in to the Researcher Home Page. Complete and submit to RSO using the Quick Reference Guide - Request for New Application/Proposal/Project via Online Approvals form.
- RSO reviews the complete package, works with the applicant as needed to finalize the application and provides approval. Once approved, application/proposal is returned to the applicant for submission to the sponsor.
- Submitting approved application to sponsor in advance of their deadline. It is generally the applicant’s responsibility to submit the application to the sponsor.
Exceptions: Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and Canada Research Chairs (CRC)
The university is the formal applicant for certain institutional research funding programs, such as Canada Research Chairs (CRC), or the many competitions offered by the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI). For these applications, RSO works closely with researchers/proponents to develop the proposals, and RSO makes the actual submission on behalf of the university.
See our CFI and CRC pages regarding submission procedures and deadlines for these programs.
Application and proposal requirements vary according to each sponsor’s requirements, and those requirements must be carefully followed when preparing an application or proposal for research funding. Timelines and deadlines are always critical – these are highlighted in the funding opportunities database and in the sponsor guidelines.
Our research facilitators are available to help you throughout the proposal development process.