Preparing an Application
In order to apply, applicants do not need to be registered with grants.gov. The U of A is registered as an Institution and already has a DUNS number. For most U.S. government applications, applicants, however, will need an eRA commons login. The electronic Research Administration (eRA) Commons manages grants for NIH as well as a number of other U.S. federal agencies. In order to get an eRA Commons login, applicants should contact their Research Facilitator and provide the following information (name, email address, preferred login, phone number). Applicants should receive an automated response from eRA Commons once their new login has been created by the research facilitator.
In addition to an eRA Commons login, applicants must have the most recent version of Adobe Reader software in order to view and complete the application package. Applicants can check to verify that they have the correct version of Adobe Reader at the grants.gov website.
For additional resources in preparing your application, please visit the Applicant Resources section of the grants.gov website.
In preparation for submitting your application to RSO for review and approval please create a new Proposal on the Researcher Home Page. More information about this process is available in the Guide to Researcher Home Page booklet. You must Save, Submit and, most importantly, PRINT the signature page you generate. When the application has been completed, print your application (including attachments) and forward the package along with the signature page to your Chair (if applicable), Dean (or Associate Dean (Research)) and Research Facilitator for review and sign-off. Your designated Research Facilitator will help coordinate the electronic submission of the application to grants.gov, since only an authorized organizational representative (AOR) may upload and submit the application.
Currently, the AORs at the University are:
- Julaine Herst, Assistant Director, Contracts & Agreements
- Julie Stephens, Assistant Director, Research Facilitation & Strategic Initiatives
- Research Facilitators:
- Lan Chan Marples, Alberta School of Business, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Extension, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Native Studies, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, School of Library and Information Studies.
- Rene Dery, Faculty of Science, Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences (Department of Renewable Resources).
- Martine Desrochers, Augustana Campus, Campus Saint-Jean, Medicine & Dentistry (Department of Medicine - Divisions: Cardiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, General Internal Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Hematology, Infectious Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Physical Medicine & Rehab, Preventive Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Rheumatology).
- Saad Salim, Faculty of Engineering,
- Pat Jones, Faculty of Nursing, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Public Health. Medicine & Dentistry (Departments of Pharmacology, Physiology).
- Angela McCormick, Medicine & Dentistry (Departments of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Cell Biology, Dentistry & Dental Hygiene, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Laboratory Medicine & Pathology, Medical Genetics, Medical Microbiology & Immunology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Oncology, Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging, Surgery; Division of Critical Care Medicine; Office of the Dean).
- Craig Taylor, Faculty of Arts, Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences (Departments of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, Human Ecology, Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology).
Apply Early to Guard Against Electronic Submission Errors
To successfully submit an NIH electronic grant application, you need to pass two automated systems validations: Grants.gov and eRA Commons.
Scenario 1: You Need to Address an Error Found During Validation
If your application does not pass the automated validations (error checking), you should immediately correct the errors identified and work with your Research Facilitator to resubmit the application.
Scenario 2: Your Application Passed Validations with Un-flagged Content Errors
Always use the two-day viewing window that follows eRA Commons validation to manually verify that none of your uploads are blank, missing, duplicated, or corrupted. Correct and resubmit your application on or before the due date if you find an error. This is necessary if you've already passed validations, because the automated validations aren't perfect.
Please adhere to the RSO internal deadline for electronic submission of US government applications. If the application is returned with errors, corrections must be made and the application resubmitted prior to the agency deadline. Increased web traffic makes it difficult to upload applications in a timely fashion, and the RSO cannot guarantee that applications received past the RSO deadline will be submitted to the funding agency on time.
If you are a co-applicant on a U.S. federally funded grant, the RSO will need the appropriate documentation in addition to your completed U of A Signature Page.