In addition to the signature requirements of the sponsor, the University of Alberta (U of A) also has signature requirements.
All applications and proposals submitted for external funding must be approved by the:
- U of A principal investigator;
- All U of A co-investigator(s);
- U of A principal investigator department;
- U of A principal investigator faculty; and
- Research facilitator, Research Services Office on behalf of the institution.
To initiate the approval process, a Proposal Request must be created and submitted via the Researcher Home Page. Instructions can be found in the Quick Reference Guide - Request for New Application/Proposal/Project via Online Approvals.
NOTE: External co-investigator signatures are only collected if required by the sponsor.
In addition to the approvals, an email or letter from the U of A co-investigator's department or faculty MUST be included if new or additional resources are being committed by the department or faculty (except when the co-applicant(s) are from the same department as the principal investigator).
U of A co-investigator approval is obtained through the online approval process.
Requesting Vice-president Signature on Letters of Support
Occasionally letters of intent (LOI) and applications/proposals require a letter of support signed by the Vice-President (Research). In all cases, the process for obtaining these letters is managed by the research facilitator. Those approaching the Office of the Vice-President (Research) directly for letters will be referred to the research facilitator.
- Principal investigator confirms internal deadlines (Department/Faculty/RSO) and provides the following to the research facilitator:
- Letter of intent/application/proposal
- Proposal number (eg. RES00xxxxx)
- Documentation confirming U of A support
- Draft letter of support
- Research facilitator:
- Confirms the letter meets sponsor guidelines
- Confirms the letter expresses U of A support accurately
- Recommends Vice-President (Research) signature on the letter
- Provides the signed letter of support to the principal applicant
Signature Requirements for Research Chair Applications
Please note that in addition to the approval requirements noted above, all research chair applications, including letters of intent, must be approved by the Vice-President (Research) on behalf of the institution. Your research facilitator will coordinate getting the approval from the Vice-President (Research) on all chair applications once all the other required approvals are obtained.