Collaborations among researchers from multiple institutions are common. RSO helps University of Alberta researchers send funds to or receive funds from co-investigators at other institutions. We call this a subgrant.
- the sponsor’s terms and conditions or guidelines must permit transfers of funds to other institutions via subgrants or subcontracts.
- the amount of funds to be transferred and the recipient’s name should be listed in your application’s budget, in the notice of award, or specifically approved by the sponsor.
- you are responsible for notifying RSO to initiate the preparation of the subgrant letter or contract. funds will not be released until certification requirements (human ethics, animal use, biohazards) are met by the recipient.
- the recipient is responsible for providing the lead institution with scientific and financial reporting in accordance with the sponsor’s terms and conditions. The lead institution then reports to the sponsor.
- due to the high volume of internal collaborations, subgrant transfers between U of A co-applicants are not permitted.
Steps to Issue a Subgrant:
- The principal investigator logs in to the Researcher Home Page and completes and signs the Request for Issue of a Subgrant form and sends the form to his/her research facilitator.
- RSO prepares a letter of agreement or contract between the U of A and the recipient institution and sends this document to the research office of the recipient institution for signature.
- The research office of the recipient institution signs the letter of agreement or contract verifying that the recipient institution will administer funds according to the sponsor’s terms and conditions and that funds will not be released until certification requirements are met (human ethics, animal use, biohazards).
- Upon receipt of this signed letter of agreement or contract, RSO transfers funds to the recipient institution.
- The University of Alberta remains fully accountable for all funds received from the sponsor, including the subgranted amount. RSO requests financial reporting from the recipient institution as required by the sponsor. Non-financial reporting remains the responsibility of the University of Alberta principal investigator.
Steps to Receive a Subgrant:
- The principal investigator contacts their research facilitator to request a letter of agreement or contract between his/her institution and the U of A regarding incoming funds.
- RSO receives, reviews, and signs this letter of agreement or contract, verifying that RSO will administer the funds according to the terms and conditions of the sponsor, and that funds will not be released until certification requirements are met (human ethics, animal use, biohazards).
- Because the U of A requires co-applicants to receive institutional signature on requests for funding, RSO will have a copy of the application on file and will therefore be able to proceed with authorizing a project for the funds. RSO will notify the co-applicant by e-mail when the project has been set up.
- If the applicant has not obtained U of A signatures (i.e., deans, chairs, etc.) on the application, he or she needs to complete the University of Alberta Signatures form, sign it and obtain his or her chair's and dean’s signature before taking the application to RSO for review, signature and project authorization.
- RSO will notify the co-applicant by e-mail when the project has been set up.