Strategic Planning Town Hall with CIHR’s Institute of Health Services and Policy Research in partnership with Alberta Innovates
Time & Date: 1 – 2:30 pm | February 13
Location: Classroom D (2F1.04 WMC)
To attend online: https://connect.srv.ualberta.ca/cihr-2020/
To register: click here.
New Frontiers in Research Fund – 2020 Transformation Stream
The objective of 2020 Transformation Stream is to support large-scale, Canadian-led interdisciplinary research projects that address a major challenge with the potential to realize real and lasting change. The challenge may be fundamental, leading to a scientific breakthrough, or applied, with a social, economic, environmental or health impact. Projects are expected to be world-leading, drawing on global research expertise, when relevant.
Transformation stream grants will support projects that:
- tackle a well-defined problem or challenge;
- propose a novel world-leading approach that is different from the current state-of-the-art approaches to the issue;
- are interdisciplinary, bringing different perspectives to the defined problem; and
- have the potential to be transformative, defined as the potential to create a significant and real change or impact—a noticeable leap or tangible breakthrough rather than an incremental advance.
Internal Application Process
Applicants interested in submitting to this competition are asked to notify the V-P(RI) Office via Katharine Moore (cc’ed to Iwona Pawlina) by Friday December 20th, 2019. There will be an internal adjudication process.
All applicants must submit a Notice of Intent to Apply (NOI) and a Letter of Intent (LOI) to apply. Only successful LOIs will be invited to submit a full application. Please visit RSO website to confirm internal institute deadlines and consult your department and/or faculty for their internal deadlines. Note, RSO (or RGO as NFRF calls it) submit/forward applications at all 3 stages.
Below is the timeline and internal supports for potential applicants. Information is continuously updated, so please keep revisiting to keep up to date.
- Thursday 9 January 2020 from 10 - 11 am in 2-31 SAB (South Academic Building) - Information Session hosted by Office of V-P(RI), GAP and RSO
Purpose: to inform applicants and to answer questions about the NOI internal review process, identify available supports for grant development, and confirm the administrative requirements and submission process.
- Monday 13 January - Deadline for applicants to request a Concept Discussion with GAP Director(s): LINK
These discussions will be scheduled between 14 and 24 January.
Purpose: to determine if applications meet the expectations of the NFRF Transformation competition and to provide feedback on strategic cross-council project content development
- Tuesday 21 January from 11 am to 1 pm MST - NFRF English language Webinar (RSO is currently booking a room - location details to follow). The French language Webinar is at 8 to 10 am MST on 21 January.
- Monday 27 January - Deadline for submission of NOI material to the Office of V-P(RI) by 4:30 pm, via email to email@example.com. This step is mandatory for all NOIs led by U of A researchers.
- Meeting to review the NOIs takes place in the subsequent three days - coordinated by the V-P(RI) Office
- Friday 31 January - Feedback is provided to NOI applicants following the internal review
- Tuesday 11 February at 4:30 pm - Deadline for submission of NOIs to RSO.
Spring 2020 Project Competition Deadlines
Registration deadline: February 5, 2020
Application deadline: March 4, 2020
Anticipated Notice of Decision: July 8, 2020
Funding Start Date: October 1, 2020