Publications in Refereed Journals
- Johnston, R., K. Boyle, W. Adamowicz, J Bennett, R. Brouwer, T.A. Cameron, W.M. Hanemann, N. Hanley, M. Ryan, R. Scarpa, R. Tourangeau, C. Vossler. 2017. Contemporary Guidance for Stated Preference Studies. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists. Forthcoming.
- Whittington, D., W. Adamowicz and P. Lloyd-Smith. 2017. Asking Willingness-to-Accept Questions in Stated Preference Surveys: A Review and Research Agenda. Annual Review of Resource Economics. Forthcoming.
- Faramarzi, M. K.C. Abbaspour, W.L. Adamowicz, W. Lu,J. Fennell, A.J.B. Zehnder, and G.G. Goss. 2017. Uncertainty based assessment of dynamic freshwater scarcity in semi-arid watersheds of Alberta, Canada. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies. 9:48-68.
- Lloyd-Smith, P, C. Schram, W. Adamowicz and D. Dupont. 2017. Endogeneity of Risk Perceptions in Averting Behavior Models. Environmental and Resource Economics. Forthcoming.
Adamowicz, W. and N. Olewiler. 2017. Helping markets get prices right: natural capital, ecosystem services, and sustainability. Canadian Public Policy. 42(S1):S32-S38.
- Price, J., D. Dupont and W. Adamowicz. 2017. As Time Goes By: Examination of Temporal Stability Across Stated Preference Question Formats. Environmental and Resource Economics. Forthcoming.
- Price, J.I, S. Renzetti, D. Dupont, W. Adamowicz and M. Emelko. 2017. Production costs, inefficiency and source water quality: a stochastic cost frontier analysis of Canadian water utilities. Land Economics. 83(1). Forthcoming.
- Kaczan, D.J., B. Swallow and W. Adamowicz. 2016. Forest Conservation policy and motivational crowding: experimental evidence from Tanzania. Ecological Economics. Forthcoming.
- Mohapatra S., W. Adamowicz, and P. Boxall. 2016. Dynamic technique and scale effects of economic growth on the environment. Energy Economics. 57. 256-264.
- Wichmann, B., M. Chen and W. Adamowicz. 2016. Social Networks and Choice Set Formation in Discrete Choice Models. Econometrics. Published online Oct. 27, 2016. 4, 42; doi:10.3390/econometrics4040042
- Zuo, A., S.A. Wheeler, W.L. Adamowicz, P.C. Boxall, and D Hatton-MacDonald.2016. Measuring Price Elasticities of Demand and Supply of Water Entitlements Based on Stated and Revealed Preference Data. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 98(1): 314-332.
- Forbes, K., P.C. Boxall, W. Adamowicz and A. de Maio Sukic. 2015. Recovering Pacific Rockfish at Risk: The economic valuation of management actions. Frontiers in Marine Science. 2:71. DOI=10.3389/fmars.2015.00071.
- Kim, H.N., P.C. Boxall and W. Adamowicz. 2015. The Demonstration and Capture of the Value of an Ecosystem Service: A Quasi-Experimental Hedonic Property Analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 98(3): 819-837.
- Li, L. W. Adamowicz and J. Swait. 2015. The Effect of Choice Set Misspecification on Welfare Measures in Random Utility Models. Resource and Energy Economics. 42:71-92.
- Truong, T., W. Adamowicz and P. Boxall. 2015. Modelling Non-compensatory Preferences in Environmental Valuation. Resource and Energy Economics. 39: 89-107.
- Zuo, A., S.A. Wheeler, P. Boxall, W.L. Adamowicz and D. Hatton MacDonald. 2015. Identifying Water Prices at which Australian Farmers Will Exit Irrigation: Results of a Stated Preference Survey. Economic Record. 91:109-123.
- Ding, Y., M. Veeman and W. Adamowicz. 2015. Functional Food Choices: Impacts of Trust and Health Control Beliefs on Canadian Consumers’ Choices of Canola Oil. Food Policy. 52. Issue C. 92-98.
Chapters in Books and Other Publications:
- Holmes, T., W. Adamowicz and F. Carlsson. 2017. Choice Experiments. in A Primer on Nonmarket Valuation, Second Edition. eds. P. Champ, T. Brown and K. Boyle, Kluwer. pp 133-186.
- Dupont, D. and W. Adamowicz. 2016. Water valuation. S. Renzetti and D. Dupont (eds) Water Policy and Governance in Canada. Springer, Switzerland. Pg. 181-199.
- Adamowicz, W. 2016. Economic Analysis and Species at Risk: Lessons Learned and Future Challenges. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 64(1):32-43.
- Swait, J. and W. Adamowicz 2015. Choosing how best to choose: antecedent volition and decision process representation in discrete choice model. Journal of Choice Modelling. 13:1-2.
- C. Schroeter & S. Anders. 2017. This is what gets you Tenure: Perceptions and Experiences of AAEA Members. Choices Magazine (accepted).
- Rieger, J, D. Weible & S. Anders. 2017. “Why some consumers don’t care” Heterogeneity in household responses to a food safety shock. Appetite, 113: 200-214.
- Schulze-Ehlers, B. & S. Anders. 2017. Towards consumer-driven meat supply chains: opportunities and challenges for differentiation by taste. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, ( ): DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170517000059
- Rieger, J., C. Kuhlgatz & S. Anders. 2016. Food Scandals, Media Attention and Habit Persistence among Desensitised Meat Consumers, Food Policy (64): 82-92.
- Bittmann, T. & S. Anders. 2016. Seasonal asymmetries in wholesale-retail cost pass-through. Applied Economics Letters, 23(15): 1065-1068.
- Anders, S. & C. Schroeter. 2015. The Economics of Diabetes, Diet-quality, and Obesity. Frontiers of Endocrinology – Diabetes, 6 (33): http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2015.00033 (open access).
- Anders, S. & M. Beye. 2015. Social Consumption and Price Rigidity of Quality-tier Differentiated Private Labels. Applied Economics Letters, 22(11): 911-915.
- Boxall, P.C., O. Perger, K. Packman and M. Weber. 2017. An experimental examination of target-based conservation auctions. Land Use Policy (Forthcoming).
- Steiner, B., K. Lam, J. Unterschultz and P.C. Boxall. 2017. Applying the resource-based view to alliance formation in specialized supply chains. Journal of Strategy and Management (Forthcoming).
- Truong, T.D., W.L. Adamowicz and P.C. Boxall. 2017. Modelling the effect of risk perception on preferences and choice set formation over time: Recreational hunting site choice and Chronic Wasting Disease. Environmental and Resource Economics. (Forthcoming)
- Wheeler, S., D. Hatton MacDonald and P.C. Boxall. 2017. Water policy debate in Australia: Understanding the tenets of stakeholders’ social trust. Land Use Policy 63:246-254
- Wichmann, B., P.C. Boxall, S. Wilson and O. Perger. 2017. Auctioning risky conservation contracts. Environmental and Resource Economics (Forthcoming).
- Cagdas, A., Jeffrey, S., E. Smith and P.C. Boxall. 2016. Environmental stewardship and technical efficiency in Canadian Prairie canola production. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 64(3):455-477.
- Eagle, A., J. Rude, and P.C. Boxall. 2016. Agricultural support policy in Canada: What are the environmental consequences? Environmental Reviews 24(1):13-24.
- Kim, H., P.C. Boxall, and W.L. Adamowicz. 2016. Analysis of the impact of water quality changes on residential property prices. Water Resources and Economics 16:1-14.
- Kim, H., P.C. Boxall and W.L. Adamowicz. 2016. The demonstration and capture of the value of an ecosystem service: A quasi-experimental hedonic property analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(3):819-837.
- Loch, A., P.C. Boxall and S. Wheeler. 2016. Using proportional modelling to evaluate farmer preferences for market-based water reallocation. Agricultural Economics 47(4):387-398.
- Mohapatra, S., W.L. Adamowicz and P.C. Boxall. 2016. Dynamic technique and scale effects of economic growth on the environment. Energy Economics 57: 256–264.
- Yang, W. Y. Lui, P.C. Boxall, K. Packman, M. Weber. 2016. Integrated economic-hydrologic modeling for examining cost effectiveness of wetland restoration scenarios in a Canadian prairie watershed. Wetlands 36:577–589.
- Zou, A., S. A. Wheeler, W.L. Adamowicz, P.C. Boxall and D. Hatton MacDonald. 2016. Measuring price elasticities of demand and supply of water rights based on stated and revealed preference data. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 98(1):314-332.
- Forbes, K., P.C. Boxall, W.L. Adamowicz and A. De Maio Sukic. 2015. Recovering Pacific Rockfish at risk: The economic valuation of management actions. Frontiers in Marine Science, Volume 2, Article 71, 23 September 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2015.00071. 10pp.
- Rollins, C., P.C. Boxall and M.K. Luckert. 2015. Public acceptance of planting genetically improved poplars on public land for biofuel production in western Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 45: 1785–1794.
- Truong, T.D., W.L. Adamowicz and P.C. Boxall. 2015. Modelling non-compensatory preferences in environmental valuation. Resource and Energy Economics 39:89-107.
- Zou, A., S. A. Wheeler, W.L. Adamowicz, P.C. Boxall and D. Hatton MacDonald. 2015. Identifying water prices at which Australian irrigators will exit irrigation: results of s stated preference survey. Economic Record 91:109-123.
- Lankao, Patricia Romero, Timon McPhearson, and Debra J. Davidson. 2017. “The Food, Energy and Water Nexus and the Challenge of Urban Complexity.” Nature Climate Change. Accepted, Forthcoming.
- Davidson, Debra J. 2017. “The Effort Factor: An adjustment to our understanding of social-ecological metabolism in the era of Peak Oil.” Social Problems. Accepted, Forthcoming.
- Davidson, Debra J. and Richard C. Stedman. 2017. “Calling forth the change-makers: Reflexivity theory and climate change attitudes and behaviors.” Acta Sociologica, DOI: 10.1177/0001699317693065.
- Davidson, Debra J. 2016. “Gaps in agricultural climate adaptation research.” Nature Climate Change 6: 433-435.
- Davidson, Debra J., Kevin E. Jones and John Parkins. 2016. “Food safety risks, disruptive events and alternative beef production: a case study of agricultural transition in Alberta.” Agriculture, Food and Human Values. 33(2): 359-371.
- Biesbroek, Robbert, Johann Dupuis, Andrew Jordan, Adam Wellstead, Michael Howlett, Paul Cairney, Jeremy Rayner & Debra Davidson. 2015. Opening up the black box of adaptation decision-making. Nature Climate Change 5, 493–494.
- Davidson, Debra J. 2016. Climate Change. Entry for Canadian Encyclopedia. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/climate-change/
- Member of Expert Panel for report commissioned by Magna, Inc. 2015. Technology and Policy Options for a Low-Emission Energy System in Canada, published by Canadian Council of Academies.
- J. Roosen, Andrea Bieberstein, Sandrine Blanchemanche, Ellen Goddard, Stephan Marette, Frederic Vandermoere, 2015, Trust and Willingness to Pay for Nanotechnology in Food, Food Policy April, 51: 75-83.
- Jill Hobbs and Ellen Goddard, 2015, Consumers and Trust, Food Policy, April, 51: 71-74.
- Muringai, Violet and Ellen Goddard, 2016, Long Term Impacts of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy on Beef Risk Perceptions and Risk Attitudes in Canada, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, Vol. 79 , Iss. 16-17, pp 746-761.
- Chiu, Angie, Ellen Goddard and Brenda Parlee, 2016, Caribou consumption in northern Canadian communities, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, Vol. 79, Iss. 16-17, pp 762-797.
- David Coles, Lynn J. Frewer and Ellen Goddard, 2015, Ethical issues and potential stakeholder priorities associated with the application of genomic technologies applied to animal production systems, Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, April 2015, Vol 28, Issue 2, pp 231-253.
- E. Goddard, A. Boaitey, K. Poon and Hailu, G. 2016. Improving Sustainability of Beef Industry Supply Chains, British Food Journal, Vol. 118 Iss 6 pp. 1533 – 1552.
- Boaitey, A., Goddard, E., Mohapatra, S., and J., Crowley. 2017. Feed efficiency estimates in cattle: The economic and environmental impacts of reranking. Sustainable Agriculture Research. Vol 6 No 2 pp 35-47
- Muringai, Violet, Ellen Goddard, Graham Plastow and Heather Bruce, 2017, Trust and Consumer Preferences for Pig Production Attributes in Canada, forthcoming in the Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- William Leiss*,Margit Westphal. Michael G. Tyshenko. Maxine C. Croteau, Tamer Oraby, Vic Adamowicz, Ellen Goddard, Neil Cashman, Shalu Darshan, Daniel Krewski, 2017,
Challenges in Managing the Risks of Chronic Wasting Disease, forthcoming in Int. J. Global Environmental Issues.
- “Employer Perspectives on Youth Employability in Rural Areas” w/ C. Heck in Observatoire Jeunes et Société Newsletter forthcoming (Spring 2017) http://www.obsjeunes.qc.ca/bulletins/
- “Policy Design in Rural Manitoba: Alternatives and Opportunities in the Midst of Change” w/ R. Bollman, R. Gibson, T. Johnson & W. Ashton in the Manitoba Law Journal (Policy Edition): Underneath the Golden Boy. Vol. 38, No. 2. pp. 184-219. 2016
- “Developing Navigation Competencies to Care for Older Rural Adults with Advanced Illness” Duggleby, W., Robinson, C., Kaasalainen, S., Pesut, B., Nekolaichuk, C., MacLeod, R., Keating, N., Santos Salas, A., Hallstrom, L., Fraser, K.D., Williams, A., Swindle, J. & Struthers-Montford, K. (Published online April 19, 2016). Canadian Journal on Aging doi:10.1017/S0714980816000131.
- “Public Health at the Watershed Scale” w/ M. Bunch & K. Morrison in Water Policy. Springer. 2016.
- “Alberta” w/ J. Stonechild and W. Reist in G. Markey et al. (ed.) State of Rural Canada 2015. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation. 109pp. 2015. http://crrf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SORC2015.pdf/
- “Public Policy and the Welfare State” In D. Raphael (ed.) The Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives (3rd ed.) Canadian Scholars Press Inc. 2016.
- “Convergence and Diversity: Integrating Encounters with Health, Ecological and Social Concerns.” w/M. Parkes & N. Guehlstorf . Introductory Chapter to Ecosystems, Society and Health w/ N. Guehlstorf and M. Parkes (Ed.) (McGill-Queen’s University Press 2015). (Lead co-author).
- “Taking the Next Steps – An Introduction” in Taking the Next Steps: Planning, Participation and Policy for Sustainable Rural Canadian Communities (University of Alberta Press 2016).
- Boom Bust – A Citizen’s Guide w/ K. van Assche et al. (2016) (University of Alberta – Faculty of Extension). 188pp. (co-author)
- Boom and Bust – Local Strategy for Big Events w/ K. van Assche et al. (2017) (Cooperatie In Planning UA.) 2017 (European edition)
- Taking the Next Steps: Sustainability Planning and Collaboration in Rural Canada (2016) w/ M. Beckie, G. Hvenegaard & K. Mundel (University of Alberta Press) (lead editor) 408pp
- Ecosystems, Society and Health: Pathways through Diversity, Convergence and Integration (2015) w/M. Parkes & N. Guehlstorf (McGill-Queens University Press) (lead editor) 352pp.
- Thompson, Y., Swallow B., Luckert. M.K. 2017. Costs of lost opportunities: Applying non-market valuation techniques to potential REDD+ participants in Cameroon. Forests. 69(8):1-15.
- Wichmann, B., Luckert, M.K., Bissonnette, K., Cumberland, A. Doll, C., Gupta, T., and Shi, Y. 2017. Using Pro-Environmental Information to Modify Conservation Behavior: Paper Recycling and Reuse. Recycling. Feb. pgs, 1-10, http://www.mdpi.com/2313-4321/2/1/5/pdf
- Hauer, G., Luckert, M.K., Yemshanov, D., and J. Unterschultz. (In Press) A Spatial Real Options Approach for Modeling Land Use Change: Assessing the Potential for Poplar Energy Plantations in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Campbell, H. Anderson, J. and M.K. Luckert. 2016. Public Policies and Canadian Ethanol Production: History and Future Prospects for an Emerging Industry. Biofuels January, 1-20.
- Work, J., Qiu, F., and M.K. Luckert. 2016. Examining hardwood pulp and ethanol prices for improved poplar plantations in Canada. Forest Policy and Economics. 70: 9-15.
- Anderson. J., Luckert, M.K. and Campbell H. 2015. Policy reforms for a “more exotic” forestry sector: Comparing Canada’s plantation policies with those in Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. The Forestry Chronicle. 91(05): 560-572.
- Rollins, C. Boxall, P., Luckert M.K. 2015. Public Preferences for Planting Genetically Improved Poplars on Public Land for Biofuel Production in Western Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 45: 1785-1794.
- Shackleton, S. and M.K. Luckert. 2015. Changing livelihoods and landscapes in the rural Eastern Cape, South Africa: Past influences and future trajectories. Land 4(4): 1060-1089.
- Anderson, J., Long, A., and M.K. Luckert. 2015. "A financial analysis of establishing poplar plantations for carbon offsets using Alberta and British Columbia’s afforestation protocols". Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 45(2): 207-216.
- Mason, R.F., P. Ndlovu, J.R. Parkins and M.K. Luckert. 2015. Determinants of food security in Tanzania: Gendered dimensions of household headship and control of resources. Agriculture and Human Values. 32(3): 539-549.
- Dassanayake, W. Luckert, M. and S. Mohapatra. 2015. Heterogeneity of Household Structures and Income: Evidence from Zimbabwe and South Africa. Journal of Policy Modeling. 37(4): 668-692.
- Yemshanov, D., G.R. McCarney, G. Hauer, M.K. Luckert, Jim Unterschultz, Daniel W McKenney. 2015. A real options-net present value approach to assessing land use change: A case study of Afforestation in Canada. Forest Policy and Economics. 50: 327-336.
- Vermeulen, S. Richards, M. De Pinto, A., Ferrarese, D., Läderach, P. Lan, L., Luckert, M. Mazzoli, E. Plant, L., Rinaldi, R., Stephenson J., Watkiss, P. 2016. The Economic Advantage Assessing the value of climate-change actions in agriculture. International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). 74p. https://cgspace.cgiar.org/bitstream/handle/10568/77628/Economic_Advantage.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Vermeulen, S. Richards, M. De Pinto, A., Ferrarese, D., Läderach, P. Lan, L., Luckert, M. Mazzoli, E. Plant, L., Rinaldi, R., Stephenson J., Watkiss, P. 2016. The Economic Advantage Assessing the value of climate-change actions in agriculture. Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security Infonote. 8p. https://cgspace.cgiar.org/rest/bitstreams/84846/retrieve
- “Search of Prior Art and Revelation of Information by Patent Applicants” with Corinne Langinier in the Review of Industrial Organization. November 2016, Volume 49, Issue 3, pp 399–427.
- “Spatial Efficiency of Genetically Modified and Organic Crops” with Stefan Ambec and Corinne Langinier in Strategic Behavior and the Environment. 2015, Vol. 5: No. 1, pp 31-59.
- “Agents Monitoring Their Manager: A Hard-Times Theory of Producer Cooperation” with Brent Hueth in the Journal of Economics & Management Strategy. Volume 24, Number 1, Spring 2015, 92–109.
- Dynamic Technique and Scale Effects of Economic Growth on the Environment. Energy Economics (with V. Adamowicz and P. Boxall). 2016.
- Intra-household Bargaining over Household Technology Adoption (with Simon, L.). Review of Economics of the Household. In press.
- Heterogeneity of Household Structures and Income:Evidence from Zimbabwe and South Africa. Author(s): (with W. Dassanayake & M. Luckert). 2015 Journal of Policy Modeling
- Parkins, J.R., T.M. Beckley, L. Comeau, R.C. Stedman, C. Rollins and A. Kessler. Forthcoming. Can distrust enhance public engagement? Insights from a national survey on energy issues in Canada. Society & Natural Resources.
- Mason, R., J.R. Parkins and A. Kaler. Forthcoming. Gendered mobilities and food security: Exploring possibilities for human movement within hunger prone rural Tanzania. Agriculture and Human Values.
- Adkin, L., L. Hanson, D. Kahane, J.R. Parkins and S. Patten. 2017. Democratizing Environmental Policy-Making through Public Engagement: Comparative Case Studies from Alberta, Canada. Environmental Politics, 26(2): 301-321.
- Parkins, J.R., M. Dunn, M.G. Reed and A.J. Sinclair. 2016. Forest governance as neoliberal strategy: A comparative case study of the Model Forest Program in Canada. Journal of Rural Studies 45: 270-278.
- Sherren, K., T.M. Beckley, J.R. Parkins, R.C. Stedman, K. Keilty, I. Morin. 2016. Learning (or living) to love the landscapes of hydroelectricity. Energy Research and Social Science 14, 102-110.
- Huddart-Kennedy, E., J. Johnston and J.R. Parkins. 2016. Food activists, consumer strategies, and the democratic imagination: Insights from eat-local movements. Journal of Consumer Culture. Online first.
- McFarlane, B.L., J.R. Parkins and S. Romanowski. 2016. Expert perceptions of media reporting on a large-scale environmental risk issue: insights from mountain pine beetle management in Alberta, Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 46, 1-9.
- Kessler, A., J.R. Parkins, and E. Huddart-Kennedy. 2016. Contested discourses of sustainability in the beef industry: Understanding narratives of environmental stewardship in the face of climate change. Rural Sociology 81 (2), 172-193.
- Shams, R., J.R. Parkins and B.M. Swallow. 2015. Socio-cultural dimensions of a Jackfruit - Burmese grape dominated agroforestry system in Bangladesh. International Journal of Development and Sustainability 4(6), 721-743.
- Davidson, D.J., K.E. Jones and J.R. Parkins. 2016. Food safety risks, disruptive events and alternative beef production: a case study of agricultural transition in Alberta. Agriculture and Human Values, 33: 359-371.
- Kaler, A. and J.R. Parkins. 2015. Food, Donors and Dependency Syndrome(s) in South Sudan. Sociology of Development 1(3): 400-416.
- Parkins, J. R., Hempel, C., Beckley, T. M., Stedman, R. C., & Sherren, K. 2015. Identifying energy discourses in Canada with Q methodology: moving beyond the environment versus economy debates. Environmental Sociology 1(4), 304-314.
- Parkins, J.R. and B.L. McFarlane. 2015. Trust and skepticism in dynamic tension: Concepts and empirical refinements from research on the mountain pine beetle outbreak in Alberta, Canada. Human Ecology Review 21(1): 133-153.
- Mason, R.F., P. Ndlovu, J.R. Parkins and M.K. Luckert. 2015. Determinants of food security in Tanzania: Gendered dimensions of household headship and control of resources. Agriculture and Human Values. 32, 539-549.
- Van Asscke, K., L. Deacon, M. Gruezmacher, R. J. Summers, S. Lavoie, K.E. Jones, M. Granzow, L. Hallstrom, J. Parkins. 2016. Boom & Bust: Managing ups and downs in communities. Faculty of Extension, University of Alberta.
- Njuki, J., J.R. Parkins and A. Kaler (Editors). 2016. Transforming gender and food security in the Global South. New York: Routledge (11 Chapters).
- Hanna, K.S. and J.R. Parkins. 2016. Alberta’s Environmental Assessment System. In Hanna (editor), Environmental Impact Assessment: Practice and Participation (Third Edition). Toronto: Oxford University Press. pp. 325-339.
- Parkins, J.R. and R.E. Mitchell. 2016. Social impact assessment: A review of academic and practitioner perspectives and emerging approaches. In K.S. Hanna (ed.) Environmental Impact Assessment: Practice and Participation (Third Edition). Toronto: Oxford University Press. pp. 122-140.
- Parkins, J.R., R. Bullock, B. Noble, M.G. Reed. 2016. Forests and Communities on the Fringe: An Overview of Community Forestry in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, In S. Teitelbaum (Ed). Community Forestry in Canada. Vancouver: UBC Press. pp. 136-154.
- Wang, H. and F. Qiu. 2017. “Investigating the Impact of Agricultural Land Losses on Deforestation: Evidence from a Peri-urban Area in Canada.” Ecological Economics. Forthcoming.
- Haarsma, D. and F. Qiu. 2017. “Assessing Neighbor and Population Growth Influences on Agricultural Land Conversion.” Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy 10(1): 21-41
- Wang, H. and F. Qiu. “Investigation of the Dynamics of Agricultural Land at the Urban Fringe: A Comparison between Two Peri-urban Areas in Canada.” The Canadian Geographer. Forthcoming.
- F. Qiu. Deserts, Swamps, or Tundras? A Comprehensive Investigation of Neighborhood Food Environments. SM J Nutrition and Metabolism (Open access journal). 2016; 2(1): 1014
- Ruan, X., F. Qiu and M. Dyck. 2016. “The Effects of Environmental and Socio-Economic Factors on Land-Use Changes.” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 188 (8): 1-31.
- An, H., F. Qiu and Y. Zheng. 2016. “How Do Export Controls Affect Price Transmission and Volatility Spillovers in the Ukrainian Wheat and Flour Markets?” Food Policy 62: 142-150.
- Work, J., F. Qiu and M.K. Luckert. 2016. “Examining Hardwood Pulp and Ethanol Prices for Improved Plantations in Canada.” Forest Policy and Economics 70: 9-15.
- Götz, L., F. Qiu, J.P., Gervais and T. Glauben. 2016. “Export Restrictions and Smooth Transition Cointegration: Export Quotas for Wheat in Ukraine.” Journal of Agricultural Economics 67(2): 398-419.
- Wang, H. and F. Qiu. 2016. “Fresh Food Access Revisited.” Cities: The International Journal of Urban Policy and Planning 51: 65-73.
- Qiu, F. and J. Rude. 2016. “Extreme Dependence in Price Transmission Analysis.” Applied Economics 48 (46):4379-4392.
- Wang, H., F. Qiu and X. Ruan. 2016. “Loss or Gain: A Spatial Regression Analysis of Switching Land Conversion between Agriculture and Natural Land.” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 221: 222-234.
- Wang, H., L. Tao, F. Qiu and W. Lu. 2016. “The Role of Socio-economic Status and Spatial Effects on Fresh Food Access: Two Case Studies in Canada.” Applied Geography 67: 27-38.
- Crow, B. and Swallow, B.M. (in press). Water and Poverty: Pathways of Escape and Descent'. In K. Conca and E. Weinthal (eds.), Oxford Handbook of Water Politics and Policy, Oxford University Press.
- Johny, J., Wichmann, B. and Swallow, B.M. (in press). Characterizing Social Networks and their Effects on Income Diversification in Rural Kerala, India. World Development.
Thompson, D.Y., Swallow, B.M., Luckert, M.K. (2017). “Costs of lost opportunities: Applying non-market valuation techniques to potential REDD+ participants in Cameroon. Forests. 8(60); doi:10.3390/f8030069.
- Breitkreuz, R., Stanton, C.J., Brady, N., Pattison, J., King,E.D.I.O., Mishra, C.S. & Swallow, B.M. (in press). The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme: A Policy Solution to Rural Poverty in India? Development Policy Review.
- Kaczan, D., Swallow, B.M., and Adamowicz, W.L. (in press). Forest conservation policy and motivational crowding: experimental evidence from Tanzania. Ecological Economics. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/jecolecon.2016.07.002.
- Ncube, K., Shackleton, C.M., Swallow, B.M. and Dasanayake, D. (2016). Impacts of HIV / AIDS on food consumption and wild food use in rural South Africa. Food Security 8(6): 1131-1151.
- Wang, H., Swallow, B. 2016. Optimizing expenditures for agricultural land conservation: spatially-explicit estimation of benefits, budgets, costs and targets. Land Use Policy 59: 272-283.
- Swallow, B.M. and Goddard, T.W. 2016. "Developing Alberta’s greenhouse gas offset system within Canadian and international policy contexts", International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, 8(3): 318 – 337.
- Shams, R., Parkins, J.R., and Swallow, B.M. 2015. Socio-Cultural Dimensions of a Jackfruit - Burmese Grape dominated Agroforestry System in Bangladesh. International Journal of Development and Sustainability, 4(6): 721-743.
- Qiu, F., Swallow, B.M., Jeffrey, S. and Liberte, L. 2015. Impacts of fragmentation and neighbor influences on farmland conversion: a case study of the Edmonton-Calgary corridor, Canada. Land Use Policy 48: 482-494.
- "Characterizing Social Networks and their Effects on Income Diversification in Rural Kerala, India" World Development Volume 94, June 2017, Pages 375–392 (with Judit Johny and Brent Swallow).
- "Blue Beijing: Estimating the Effects of Temporary Emissions Restrictions on Air Quality" Applied Economics Letters 2017 (with Meng Yang).
- "Social Networks and Choice Set Formation in Discrete Choice Models" Econometrics 4(4), 42. 2016. Special Issue Discrete Choice Modeling (Guest Editor: William Greene) with Minjie Chen and Vic Adamovicz.
- "Auctioning Risky Conservation Contracts" Environmental and Resource Economics 2017 (with Peter Boxall, Scott Wilson, and Orsolya Perger).