Deductibles are based on policy type as well as fault. During the claim process, our adjusters will assess each incident to determine whether action could have been taken by the department or individual submitting the claim to avoid, prevent, or reduce the loss or damage in whole or in part.
All members of the University of Alberta community can help reduce losses by proactively identifying risks and taking appropriate steps to mitigate them (eg. reporting leaks, locking down portable equipment, completing hazard assessments before starting work, etc). You are the University's first line of defense to protect you, other people, and our property.
University-Owned Vehicles (includes those owned by departments and Vehicle Pool)
- $1,000 deductible for collision claims when the driver is at fault in whole or in part.
- $2,500 deductible for off-road driving claims including road hazards, regardless of fault (except golf carts).
Rental Vehicles (i.e. from an external rental company such as Enterprise or Budget)
- $2,500 deductible for all perils including collision and comprehensive claims when the rental company's physical damage insurance has been declined.
- $1,000 deductible for any property loss (eg. water damage, fire, theft) where the loss could have been prevented or reduced by the department/individual.
- $500 deductible for golf cart and ATV claims; $1,000 deductible if the loss could have been prevented or reduced.
- $2,500 deductible for theft of portable equipment (such as laptops, cameras). Examples of failure to prevent loss of portable equipment:
- no security of any kind is in place (eg. laptops unsecured on a desk in an unlocked room/office).
- numerous people have keys or electronic access and there are no signs of forced entry.
Major Construction Projects
All Other Policy Types