In 2016/2017 EHS worked with the Department of Chemistry to create an inventory of every chemical in the department. Grant funded, this enormous task was part of a unit-wide initiative to identify, assess, and control chemical hazards through proper labeling, storage, and disposal. Together, EHS and Chemistry recorded about 58,000 chemicals in 300 storage areas, disposing of many old and outdated chemicals along the way.
Want to take stock of your chemicals? Here’s how:
- Do a hazard assessment before you begin. Be sure to:
- Verify that ventilation is turned on and ignition sources are turned off
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment
- Understand incompatibilities: review our reference guide
- Refer to the CCOHS fact sheet for conducting a chemical inventory and to access a template.
- Discuss your findings with laboratory personnel & dispose of excess or outdated chemicals