History

Dental education was instituted at the University of Alberta in 1917 in the School of Dentistry under the Faculty of Medicine. The first full degree program was offered in 1923 and the first class graduated in 1927. When the school's first dean, Dr. H.E. Bulyea, came here from Harvard University in 1917, he patterned this school's curriculum after that of Harvard.

The school became the Faculty of Dentistry in 1944, and until 1958, this was the only dental school in Western Canada. The U of A dental faculty trained practitioners for all the western provinces, promoted dental health in the community and in the schools, and conducted research into the prevention of dental diseases, which led to the fluoridation of water in Edmonton.

In 1996, the Faculty of Dentistry merged with the Faculty of Medicine to become the U of A's Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, which has achieved national and international prominence for the high quality of its teaching, research and clinical programs.

Milestones

1917

Dental education was first instituted as a Department of Dentistry under the aegis of the Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Harry E. Bulyea provided the first three students with lectures in operative dentistry.

1927

The first seven DDS degrees were granted at the U of A.

1930

The Department became a school with Dr. Bulyea as Director.

1944

Faculty status was achieved. Dr. W. Scott Hamilton was appointed Dean, a post he retained until 1958.

1948

New facilities for the Faculty included 48 completely equipped cubicles in the main clinic which were said to be "second to none in this dominion."

1958

Dr. Hector R. MacLean, a graduate of 1928, became Dean. His tenure, which continued until 1970, brought another series of enhancements to the Faculty.

1961

A new clinic was opened, accommodating 50 students per year, and incorporating new technologies such as high speed air turbine cutting instruments.

1961

Dental Auxiliary training was instituted under the directorship of Margaret Berry MacLean, and one year later, the School of Dental Hygiene came into being.

1962

Graduate Studies were approved with diplomas awarded in clinical specialties of pedodontics, prosthodontics and orthodontics as well as the MSc degree in these fields and oral biology.

1970

Dr. James McCutcheon was appointed Dean, an office he held until 1976.

1974

The Mobile Dental Clinic program was developed to provide comprehensive dental care to underserviced areas of Northern Alberta.

1976

Dr. Donald M. Collinson assumed the role of acting Dean.

1976

U of A starts General Practice Residency program based at the University of Alberta Hospital Dental Clinic.

1978

Dr. Gordon W. Thompson was appointed Dean.

1979

New satellite clinic facilities were developed for Northern Alberta.

1982

The undergraduate dentistry program was accredited without any recommendations for change, an unprecedented move by the Council on Education of the Canadian Dental Association.

1982

Alberta is selected by P.I. Branemark, a Swedish orthopaedic surgeon as a replication study site for 20 dental implant patients.

1983

New clinical research programs were developed, raising the Faculty's profile at national and international meetings.

1985

A computerized patient management system was developed to accommodate the change to comprehensive patient care in the Faculty.

1986

The Branemark research team puts on a 3-day course for surgeons and prosthodontists only at the University of Alberta, Faculty of Dentistry. Results of a clinical replication study by Alberta dental faculty members are presented with hands-on examination and interview of numerous Branemark implant patients.

1988

The Faculty's Outreach Program was expanded to include development of the Geriatric Dentistry Clinic at the Edmonton General Hospital, acknowledged to be one of the best clinics of its kind on the continent.

1989

Dr. Norman K. Wood was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.

1990

The Fund for Dentistry launched. First appeal in history to private sector dental community.

1992

75th Anniversary. Dental student enrolment reduced to 30 from 50 and dental hygiene enrolment increased to 50 from 40.

1994

Dr. Henry Dick was appointed Acting Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.

1995

Dr. G. Wayne Raborn was appointed Acting Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.

1996

Dr. G. Wayne Raborn was appointed Acting Dean for the Department of Oral Health Sciences.

1996

University of Alberta Faculty of Dentistry nearly closes and is reduced to a "Department of Dentistry" within the renamed Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry - the same name it had in its inception in 1917.

1997

Dr. G. Wayne Raborn was appointed Associate Dean and chair of the Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2000

The BSc (Dental Hygiene Specialization) Degree and Post Diploma Degree Completion was instituted at the University of Alberta.

2001

The Canadian-German Academic Cooperation in Dentistry, also known as the Dresden Exchange Program, sees the first visit of four German dental students to the U of A. The exchange program is established mainly through the personal efforts of Dr. John Woronuk.

2002

A Memorandum of Understanding is signed between representatives of the University of Alberta and Technical University Dresden, formally recognizing the benefits and establishment of the exchange program.

2003

Dr. Nadine Milos was appointed Acting Chair and Associate Dean of the Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2003

Professor Dr. Michael H. Walter, Associate Dean for Student Affairs at the Dresden Technical University takes a 6 month sabbatical to come to the U of A dental school, establishing the first significant exchange of dental faculty.

2004

Dr. Kenneth Zakariasen was appointed Chair and Associate Dean of Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2005

The CDAC (Commission on Dental Accreditation in Canada) produces the "Competencies for a Beginning Dental Practitioner in Canada". Implant dentistry is listed under item #42.

2006

Dr. Douglas Dederich was appointed Acting Chair and Associate Dean for the Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2007

Dr. Nadine Milos was appointed Acting Chair and Acting Associate Dean for the Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2007

Intersession begins at the U of A Department of Dentistry with undergraduate and GPR students placing their first dental implants. The 10 step protocol previously developed by Dr. Cable was modified and updated by Drs. Kucey and Lung to include implant placement by students.

2009

Department of Dentistry established as one of the eight Schools within a new Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry structure, a status it previously enjoyed in the 1930's.

2010

Dr. Paul Major was appointed Lead of the School of Dentistry and Chair of the Department of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.

2010

A celebration of 10 years of the Dresden Exchange Program is held in Dresden, Germany. More than 130 Canadian and German dental students and faculty have participated in the exchange since its inception.

2011

The Dental Hygiene program celebrates 50 years (since the first students enrolled).

2011

Department of Dentistry Administration moves out of Dentistry/Pharmacy Centre into the Edmonton Clinic Health Academy (ECHA).

2012

School of Dentistry Patient Clinics move out of Dentistry/Pharmacy Centre into the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.

2017

School of Dentistry celebrates its Centennial.