Associate Chair/Student Affairs
Office: 5520 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
Office Hours: By appointment
Address: University of Alberta
5520 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
Canada T6G 1C9
Born in Edmonton Alberta, Dr. Stevenson received his B.Sc. and D.D.S. (with distinction) from the University of Alberta in 1973 and was awarded the Alberta Association Gold Medal, Arthur D. Cumming Gold Medal and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry Award for Excellence in Pediatric Dentistry. Following graduation Dr. Stevenson practiced general and hospital dentistry in south central Alberta. In 1975 he moved his family to Chicago Illinois to start a residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Illinois Medical Center and Cook County Hospital. He also enrolled in a Master’s program at the University of Illinois Graduate College at Circle Campus. In 1979 he received his M.S. (honours) in bone biology and Diploma in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Following one year of specialty practice in Ontario Dr. Stevenson returned to Edmonton in 1980 to found South Edmonton Oral Surgery, where he practiced the full scope of his specialty with a special focus on orthognathic and reconstructive surgery. During this time he was active in both his provincial and national associations and is a Past President of the Alberta Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, a founding member of the Alberta Society of Alberta Specialists and a Past President of the Canadian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Dr. Stevenson also served as Alberta Health Services Zone Chief for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Hospital Based Dentistry 2011 – 2012.
Dr. Stevenson joined the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery In the Faculty of Dentistry as a part-time instructor and lecturer in 1981 and was promoted to Clinical Professor in 2007. In 2009 he made the decision to leave full time practice to return to the School of Dentistry as Division Head of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. This was to address a long time passion to give back to his School and his university and to pass on his knowledge and what he had learned to the next generation of dental practitioners. In 2010 he assumed the role of Vice Chair, Associate Chair Clinical Affairs and Associate Chair Student Affairs. He left Clinical Affairs in 2012, continuing with his other portfolios. He currently serves as the dental advisor for the Neuroscience Block in Medicine and Course Coordinator for DDS 529 Local Anesthesia, DDS 545 Introductory Oral Surgery, DDS 545 Advanced Oral Surgery, DDS565 Oral Surgery Clinics and DDS 565 Nitrous Oxide Analgesia and Pain Control. In addition to his teaching responsibilities he enjoys advocating for his students and assisting them with day to issues and problems. He also serves as a Director for the student run, inner city SHINE clinic, and coordinator for the students’ international humanitarian missions.
- Alberta Dental Association and College Award of Excellence - 2014
- Student Excellence in Teaching Award - 2009, 2010 and 2013
- Canadian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Service Merit Award - 1998
- Student Affairs Committee
- Faculty Affairs Committee
- School of Dentistry Executive Committee
- Dentistry Curriculum Committee
- Division Head Committee
- Faculty Awards Committee
- Students with Blood Borne Diseases Committee
- Rural and Regional Advisory Group
- Faculty Professionalism Committee
- Learner Advocacy and Wellness Committee for MD and DDS
- Student representative on the School Academic Standing Committee
- Faculty Academic Standing and Promotions Committee
- Examiner for the National Dental Examining Board
- Spokesperson for the Canadian Dental Association
- Teaching Philosophy: Enhanced Old School
- Teaching Objective: To help produce the next generation of practitioners who will be better than us.
- Favorite message to new students: Don’t be impressed with what you think I know. Wait until I have taught you what I know and then pass judgment.