Frequently Asked Questions about the MA(HUCO)/MLIS Combined Program 

How do I apply for the MA/MLIS program?
You must apply to the Master of Arts (MA) in Humanities Computing (HUCO) and Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from the School of Library and Information Sciences for this combined program. If the MA department admits you then your file gets forwarded to MLIS program for review. You apply through FGSR website.  Application are open as of October 3, 2016.

What is the application deadline?
The deadline is February 1, 2017. There is only one intake in Fall term (September).

How many years do we have to complete our degree?
You have six years. Most Master's thesis-based programs on campus are four years. However, the combined MLIS/HUCO is six years.

What are thesis student fees?
If you are registered full-time (9-credits in Fall/Winter and mandatory 6-credits in Spring/Summer term the total tuition fees for twelve months is $5600.18 (based on 2016-17 fees). A breakdown of fees for 2016-17 is found on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website

What are the costs in the spring/summer specifically? When are they paid?
Check the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website for entire breakdown for Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer terms. For fees deadlines check important dates and deadlines here.

Are we considered full-time during the summer?
Yes, you are automatically registered in THES 906 by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research in both Spring and Summer terms. "6" signifies 6-credits. (e.g. THES 903 is 3-credits)

What does it mean to be a thesis student?
It means you take fewer courses than a course-based student and you have a thesis research paper to submit at the end of your program.

Are MLIS /HUCO students considered thesis students?
You are a thesis-based student in both departments.

As a thesis student do we take three courses a term as opposed to course-based 4 courses a term?
As a thesis-based student you register in *9-credits (3 courses) per Fall/Winter term and *6-credits in Spring/Summer term.  As a thesis based student you take fewer courses than a course based student. Check out the program sheet for MA/MLIS program. This can also be found on the School's forms section of the website. 

How do you apply for Graduate Research Assistant position at SLIS?
Each year the School advertises a number of graduate Research Assistant positions along with the associated criteria. Both course-based and thesis-based students can apply. But, they will not cover tuition fees.

Can MLIS/HUCO students apply for SSHRC?
Yes, MLIS/HUCO Students should contact their Humanities Computing Graduate Coordinator for further details.

How many supervisors should MLIS/HUCO thesis students have?
Two supervisors from the School of Library and Information Studies and HUCO.

From which pools can you choose your supervisors?
The School of Library and Information Studies and HUCO

How is your first reader chosen? Who qualifies? Does it have to be SLIS?
Because of the combined nature of the program, you will have two supervisors from the School and HUCO. The choice will depend on the nature of the thesis subject area.

What is the process for asking a faculty member to be your supervisor?
You can contact both of your Graduate Coordinators at the School and HUCO to start the process. They will be able to advise you on the subject expertise of potential candidates for your supervision.

Do we have to do the SLIS capping project?
No, capping project (LIS 600) is only part of the course-based program.  You will be writing a thesis.

How does the tuition work with student loans/the MSFAA (must be full-time students)?
You must be registered full time to be eligible for student loans.  For more information about this you need to contact Student Connect in the Registrar's Office. They handle student loans for all students.

Should I prepare a thesis proposal? 
Thesis proposal details can be found here.

What is the procedure for final oral examination?
Procedure for final oral examination can be found here.

Who can supervise you? Associate/Adjunct professors? Professors names to be surrogates for the department even though they are not official attached to it?
Find out more here.